Principal PLATO Platform Architect, Data
Requisition ID: 81472
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video Job Purpose
The incumbent is responsible for managing a set of tasks and techniques used to work as a liaison among various stakeholders in order to understand the structure, policies, and operations of an organization, and to recommend technical / business solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals.
To achieve this, the incumbent will direct a team of IT Managers and professionals responsible for the design, development, delivery and support of the PLATO Platform, which will be used by departments within IT&S to accelerate development velocity, modernize bank applications & infrastructure, and improve security posture.
Working with an advanced level of expertise, the Principal Platform Architect, Data is responsible for the full architectural life cycle, and the architectural direction of technical resources within the PLATO Platform.
The Principal Platform Architect, Data works with the Chief PLATO Architect, PLATO Technical Component Owners, & PLATO Component Architects to form alliances on projects, manage requirements, manage architectural delivery, and vendor technology selection.
The incumbent will effectively manage and supervise departmental and project architectural staff by setting performance expectations, monitoring performance, providing performance feedback including the preparation of performance appraisals, and as needed, providing counsel and coaching, and arranging for formal training. This also includes the recruitment of qualified development staff. The incumbent will participate in long-range strategy planning and manage policy development to address complex business issues. Key Responsibilities:
- The incumbent is responsible for planning and documenting PLATO platform target state related to the PLATO Data & Events portfolio.
- Typically involving multiple systems and impact more than one area or sub-component(s) of major application/technology within the PLATO Data portfolio landscape
- Ensuring it meets the needs of the user group across the platform(s) and adheres to the architectural direction of Bank standards
- Understands the strategic direction of the enterprise and the supporting IT systems and architectures.
- The Principal Platform Architect is responsible for leading technical teams in the areas of PLATO platform component target state architecture, technical direction, future planning and standard development practices.
- Provides counseling and coaching
- Recruits qualified resources for projects
- Develops departmental capability to exploit technology and develop expertise to meet future business requirements
- Ensures succession planning for all critical positions
- The incumbent is responsible for building and maintaining a strong working relationship with peers/management within the business lines.
- Partnering with stakeholders/teams to translate business strategies/requirements and identify appropriate solutions to deliver on objectives
- The Principal Platform Architect will participate in the budgeting processes and quality improvement activities for his/her department and/or projects.
- Interprets, applies and monitors return on parameters and performance indicators for all new initiatives supported by the area
- May be required to work with Project Management, Business Analysis and Finance resources to ensure appropriate financial management of projects and operations
- Interprets and implements continuous improvement process for production issues to ensure the effective and timely resolution of problems and knowledge transfer
- The Principal Platform Architect will meet scheduled milestones to ensure project/program objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Ensures the timely development and/or implementation of solutions
- Actively facilitate problem resolution, in anticipation of production problems.
- At least 10-15 years of IT and business/industry work experience.
- Systems knowledge and experience (existing systems and new technologies).
- Business knowledge and experience (understanding of vision, financial objectives/how business functions and core processes interact/the strategic importance of projects, how they relate to Scotiabank's goals, how projects interact/impact of change and/or delays in projects).
- Process knowledge and experience in scheduling, resource allocation, risk management and systems design.
- Expert technology knowledge of tools, techniques, patterns, architectures and strategies for large scale, self-service data management in public utility cloud providers.
- Experienced in the project management of highly complex technology projects.
- Experienced in vendor management, including contract negotiations and managing outsourcers.
- Experienced in managing offshore resources.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles, theories, practices and techniques for managing the activities related to planning, managing and implementing software & infrastructure projects and programs.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field, OR equivalent work experience.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Data Architect, Database, Architecture, Bank, Banking, Data, Engineering, Technology, Finance