Senior Principal, Greenfield Energy and Renewables
- $170,000 - $180,000
- Toronto, ON, Canada Toronto ON CA
- Permanent, Full time
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
- 21 May 18 2018-05-21
Ontario Teachers’ Infrastructure and Natural Resources Group (“INR”) is a highly-specialized private equity team that seeks to invest directly in global infrastructure assets. As part of INR’s growth initiative, we have created a specialized investment team focused on Greenfield infrastructure and renewable energy. This Greenfield and Renewable (“G&R”) team is focused on sourcing and executing transactions around the globe, as well as managing a portfolio of existing assets. The G&R team is dedicated to providing better risk adjusted returns and increased diversification to INR’s existing portfolio.
Based in Toronto, the successful candidate will become an integral part of INR. Reporting to the a Director of the G&R team, the Senior Principal will play a leading role in executing transactions and managing existing portfolio investments. The Senior Principal will contribute to a team culture where multiple investment groups will collaborate to effectively cover the market.
INR consists of a team of approximately 40 investment professionals and is based in Toronto, Canada with a presence in London, U.K. INR was one of the pioneers of institutional infrastructure investing and has developed an extensive and successful track record since forming in 2001. The infrastructure portfolio includes investments in transportation and logistics (including airports, container terminals and high-speed rail), utilities, electricity generation (renewable & conventional) and drinking water and wastewater. The majority of our infrastructure assets are held outside of Canada, principally in the U.K., Europe, Chile, the U.S. and Australia.
Infrastructure investments are good long-term investments for the pension plan. Our status as an unlimited life fund with long-dated pension liabilities and a desire to continue to grow our direct infrastructure portfolio allows us to adopt a differentiated approach to our investments. As an investor with no requirement to exit, we focus on long-term value creation, not on short-term trading profits. In order to implement these value-enhancing initiatives we typically take significant shareholder positions with meaningful governance.
As a Senior Principal, you will lead the sourcing, evaluation and execution of potential investment opportunities, as well as managing existing portfolio investments. The Senior Principal will lead deal teams comprised Senior Principals and Associates, supported by third party consultants and advisors. The Senior Principal will be involved with portfolio companies post close, potentially serving on a board of directors or in a board observer role, and will work directly with management to shape strategy and implement value-enhancing initiatives.
The Senior Principal will also play an active role in identifying target investment sectors, generating deal flow and developing relationships. Activities will include conducting desk research, working with consultants, attending conferences and trade shows, networking with management teams and meeting with various industry participants.
The Senior Principal will be expected to travel regularly to support these activities.
• Develop and pursue investment ideas;
• Develop a network of contacts with potential partners and advisors;
• Play a leading role in the due diligence of investment opportunities, including managing the overall evaluation process;
• Play a leading role in the negotiation and execution of transaction documentation;
• Manage communications with internal committees, external resources and partners;
• Manage external advisors in the preparation of due diligence reports;
• Identify business and transaction risks and means to mitigate them;
• Oversee the development of sophisticated financial models to analyze investment opportunities;
• Oversee valuation analysis;
• Make investment recommendations and participate in or lead the presentation to investment committees;
• Manage the drafting of presentations, reports and investment recommendations to senior management
II) Management of Investments:
• Attend board meetings as required;
• Build and nurture relationships with portfolio company management, directors, partners, lenders and other stakeholders;
• Identify opportunities to create value in investments;
• Monitor the performance and actively manage the risk-return balance of our existing investments;
• Review and analyze financial reports, budgets, board books and other information prepared by management of our portfolio companies;
• Liaise with the OTPP internal business partners (Finance, Legal, Taxation, Asset Mix & Risk) with respect to monitoring existing investments and in the pursuit of new investment opportunities;
• Oversee the preparation of internal annual valuations
The successful candidate should have a strong understanding of valuation theory, excellent strategic thinking skills and an ability to perform in-depth analysis. Given the specialized nature of this role, the Senior Principal will have experience executing or managing Greenfield investments globally. The Senior Principal must also have very strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in order to articulate ideas, issues and recommendations internally, as well as with external parties such as investment partners, investment bankers, lawyers, consultants, and senior management of companies.
This role is particularly well-suited to highly motivated experienced team players who enjoy the challenges of the fast-paced transaction environment, can manage multiple projects and thrive on developing new skills.
• 10+ years of work experience, preferably in principal investing, corporate development, project finance or investment banking;
• Past work experience directly related to renewable energy and greenfield development including infrastructure, private equity, clean tech, or capital project delivery is considered an asset;
• A graduate degree or professional designation such as MBA, P.Eng, LLB, CFA, or CA
• Experience leading material aspects of the investment process, including conducting due diligence, arranging debt financing and negotiating documentation;
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills and ability to perform in-depth, innovative, critical analysis;
• Strong interpersonal skills and proficiency in written and verbal English;
• Superior project management, communication and change management skills in order to execute effectively on opportunities;
• Ability to meet tight timelines and operate in a highly competitive and demanding work environment; and
• Willingness to travel.
How to Apply:
We encourage all applicants to apply directly through our website at https://www.otpp.com/careers/career-opportunities.
Job ID: 526
OTPP is located at:
5650 Yonge Street
Canada, M2M 4H5
$170,000 - $180,000
•Bonus (Discretionally Pay for Performance)
•Other Benefits (Employee Assistance Program, Vacation and New Hire Relocation)
•Life Insurance Benefits
•Group Insurance Benefits
•Vision Care Benefits
•20 Vacation Days
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
5650 Yonge Street
Canada, M2M 4H5
David Ha, Senior Recruitment Specialist
Phone number: 416-730-3514
Application to be submitted by:
May 28, 2018