Sr. Back-end Developer with VAR and Java
Requisition ID: 72803
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. The Team
VAR Team is responsible for supporting and enhancing the existing VAR Application that calculates Value at Risk measures and Stress testing measures for the Enterprise Capital Analysis and Enterprise Stress Testing team. The role:
Senior back end developer who ensures delivery of VAR (Value at Risk) application, specialized on integration with the GBM Data Platform, works closely with business and team members to understand business requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. Is this role right for you?
Successful candidate will be working in the Streaming Architecture team for the first 6 months. The GBM Data Platform is an enterprise data platofrm that utilizes Kafka, Nifi, Elasticsearch, and Hadoop as the underlying technology. After the first 6 months, the candidate will be responsible for code development, modernization(exploring new technologies) and supporting the VAR application which is comprised of many different components currently utilizing different technology stacks. (i.e. Shell, Java, Python, Oracle, Postgres). The focus for the candidate will be on integration of the VAR application with the Data Platform which involves publishing the data from VAR application and consuming data from Data Platform to VAR applicatoin.
Ideal candidate would be required to
- able to work with diverse set of technologies, build on top of existing implementations, and ensure sound integration with surrounding components from end to end operational perspective
- design sound solutions by understanding why is the functionality needed and how is the end user going to use the functionality
- ensure the quality of the new features, while maintaining the existing functionality or system performance by building automated testing and regression suites Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role?
5+ years of strong development experience in Java (Experience with Java Spring Boot framework is preferred) and any Relational Database programming (Postgres is preferred)..
3+ years of strong development experience on SQL Programming (RDBMS).
3+ years of experience working with unix environment with unix shell (ksh/bash)
Strong Software development fundamentals, data structures, design patterns, Object-Oriented programming, architecture, algorithms, and problem-solving skills
Good understanding of service architecture and high performance, and multi-threading techniques
Hands on experience in using source control systems and deployment such as git, bitbucket, jenkins.
Market risk or financial risk experience is a nice to have
RiskWatch experience is a nice to have What's in it for you?
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to create beautiful customer experiences
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top technology companies around the world
- Dress codes don't apply here, being comfortable does
- Onsite cafeteria
- We offer a competitive total rewards package that includes a base salary, a performance bonus, company matching programs (on pension & profit sharing), generous vacation, personal & sick days, personal development funding, maternity leave top-up, parental leave and much more.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Developer, Bank, Banking, Java, Database, Technology, Finance