Vice President, Operational Risk Oversight, Enterprise Risk, Global Risk Management
Requisition ID: 82298
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. Purpose
Provides strategic direction, leadership and oversight for Operational Risk globally ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are supported in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures. Accountabilities
Education / Experience
- Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Responsible for the independent oversight of front line operational risk management effectiveness across all lines of business (Canadian Banking, Global Wealth Management, GBM, International Banking and Technology and Control Functions)
- Engage proactively and partners with business and risk resources within the front line to influence and challenge risk management activities and decisions
- Identify and bring thought leadership to the management of operational risk issues including the identification of risks and assistance in the development of processes and controls to help mitigate the identified risks
- Identify external / internal developments, initiatives and threats and communicate thematic risk issues to risk committees and other executive meetings.
- Control testing (design and operating effectiveness) and in-control statements.
- Ensure coverage by risk category and geography and independent reporting
- Challenge, monitor and advise on:
- Definition and communication of a sound risk management strategy
- Risk appetite and limits
- Design of effective risk governance structures and risk organizations
- Risk identification and assessment
- Risk mitigation and control design
- Incidents and loss management
- Risk monitoring and action tracking; Provides advice and counsel to Scotiabank's executives, business lines, control function, subsidiaries and employees on risk policies
- Provides effective challenge to business lines and corporate functions on operational risk
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Builds a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA or CA preferred
- Min 10 years of related experience in risk management
- Solid understanding of financial institutions, infrastructures and markets is an asset
- Must understand the Bank and its component pieces including risk management, business lines, finance, legal, treasury, strategic review, compliance and AML
- Able to work with various subject matter experts
- Strong change management skills are critical
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven problem resolution skills
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Risk Management, Manager, Bank, Banking, Developer, Finance, Management, Technology