Alternative Data Analyst, Evidence Lab
- Shanghai, Shanghai Shi, China
- Permanent, Full time
- UBS AG
- 20 Sep 17
Are you an analytic thinker? Do you know how to develop innovative solutions? We're looking for someone who has a passion for exploration and analysis of vasts amounts of “alternative” data related to the fields of social media, search, mobile app stores, and online review sites within China. Someone who can:
–identify and establish a framework for analyzing new sources of web-mined information with a focus on Chinese social media, search, and online review sites
–develop, create and deliver analytical content for UBS's equity research publications
–participate in brainstorming meetings to design, execute, and deliver novel solutions for investment debates
–transform unstructured data into a structured framework
–create and maintain taxonomies (such as those related to the social media presence and / or digital strategies of businesses)
–manage and ensure the quality of underlying data sets collected from multiple sources
–assist in the evaluation of new data sources and vendors
–perform ad-hoc ETL activities, clean and prepare data as needed for initial project development
–perform explanatory data analyses, generate and test working hypotheses, prepare and analyze historical data and identify patters using proprietary data sets
Expert advice. Wealth management. Investment banking. Asset management. Retail banking in Switzerland. And all the support functions. That's what we do. And we do it for private and institutional clients as well as corporations around the world.
We are about 60,000 employees in all major financial centers, in almost 900 offices and more than 50 countries. Do you want to be one of us?
You'll be working in the UBS Evidence Lab team in Shanghai as a Social Media Analyst. We
focus on on primary research on underlying business drivers utilizing online and alternative data sets such as social media postings, search results, mobile app downloads, and online review sites across Asia, specifically China. The successful candidate will help develop, create and deliver analytic content for UBS's equity research publications and will gain exposure to investment debates across multiple business sectors including financials & banking, retail, technology and travel & leisure. The role provides an opportunity to drive all aspects of the research process including project definition, methodology selection, data collection and preparation, analysis execution and insight generation, report delivery and performance monitoring.
You can learn more about Evidence Lab http://about-neo.ubs.com/content/ubs-evidence-lab-do-you-have-what-it-takes here.
Your experience and skills
– Outstanding analytic and research skills and experience using enterprise analytic tools and platforms on large data sets
– Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Finance, Accounting or related fields), or in social sciences (e.g. economics, psychology, sociology). Master's degree a plus.
– 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Relevant experience may be in consultancy, business strategy, equity research, or at a third-party research provider.
– Knowledge of the social media landscape within China and insights into how both Chinese businesses and consumers utilize social media
– Knowledge of relational databases and strong experience writing SQL code to structure, query and analyse large data sets. Familiarity with other analytic programming languages (e.g., Python, R) a plus.
– Experience using Excel as reporting template to deliver analysis to non-technical audiences. Knowledge of Excel VBA to aid in report automation a plus.
– Some familiarity with data visualization, statistical modeling, or machine learning would be a plus.
– Fluent in Mandarin and English. A working knowledge of Japanese a plus.
– A creative problem solver who leverages outside the box thinking
– Extremely organized, effective at working on multiple project simultaneously and identifying priorities accordingly
– Intellectually curious with with strong analytic, quantitative, and critical reasoning skills
What we offer
Together. That's how we do things. We offer people around the world a supportive, challenging and diverse working environment. We value your passion and commitment, and reward your performance.
Take the next step
Are you truly collaborative? Succeeding at UBS means respecting, understanding and trusting colleagues and clients. Challenging others and being challenged in return. Being passionate about what you do. Driving yourself forward, always wanting to do things the right way. Does that sound like you? Then you have the right stuff to join us. Apply now.