Asset Management Division (JV), Head of Legal, Vice President, Shanghai
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB ABOUT US
This role will form part of the core leadership / management team in an integral position to help Goldman Sachs build out its franchise and footprint in its asset management business in China.
Goldman Sachs has a long term strategic plan in China, as evidenced by the recent announcement of [51%] ownership of our local securities joint venture. As part of the strategic plan to build out our China footprint and franchise, Goldman Sachs Asset Management ("GSAM"), a business line within Goldman Sachs, is pursuing its own joint venture ("JV") with a local financial institution by combining GSAM's expertise in product innovation, portfolio and risk management with the local partner's strong brand recognition and client network. The JV will offer investment management advisory services for retail and/or qualified investors in China, via predominantly the JV partner's nationwide distribution channels. The JV will benefit from strengths from both companies, striving to deliver superior investment solutions to onshore China clients.
Asset Management Division (AMD) is one of the world's leading investment managers. AMD provides institutional and individual investors with investment and advisory solutions, with strategies spanning asset classes, industries, and geographies. We help our clients navigate today's dynamic markets, and identify the opportunities that shape their portfolios and long-term investment goals. We extend these global capabilities to the world's leading pension plans, sovereign wealth funds, central banks, insurance companies, financial institutions, endowments, foundations, individuals and family offices.
Goldman Sachs' Legal Department works at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across Goldman Sachs, including GSAM. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you are an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you. ABOUT YOU
As the Head of Legal of the JV, the role will form part of the core leadership / management team of the JV, collectively overseeing the strategic direction and execution of the business. As China is opening up its economy and financial markets, the JV is at a bright spot in delivering and sharing best practices from global markets, complimenting local expertise in understanding and developing solutions for local investors. The role will be in the front seat of the change engine, combining and synergizing the best practice and culture of both worlds. RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
We are looking for an attorney to assume the Head of Legal function in the JV, and provide legal support to the JV's day-to-day operations. Candidates should be familiar with the legal and regulatory environment around the financial markets industry in China, particularly the asset management sector, and be able to assist with and provide ongoing legal support across different aspects of the JV's businesses, including, without limitation, matters relating to product issuance/ongoing maintenance. In this role, you will have an opportunity to work closely with the broader Goldman Sachs legal team supporting the firm's businesses in Asia Pacific including the practice group covering GSAM, whose team is comprised of a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds. We look for those who possess sound judgment, curiosity, and are able to adapt to a changing regulatory landscape. This role would be well suited for a mid-level lawyer looking for the next step to expand and grow their practice and expertise.
The role will also cover:
- Assisting with client facing and other external legal communications, product documentation and all other legal/contractual arrangements related to the JV's businesses
- Working closely with Compliance and other teams in relation to regulatory matters affecting the JV
- Assisting to design, review and implement processes as required to respond to client needs and regulatory change
- Advising on licensing and registration issues
- Acting as an advisor to the JV's Board of directors as required, and assisting in company secretarial matters including compiling board packs
- Advising on other ancillary legal matters and supporting the broader businesses of the JV
The role will be based in Shanghai.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- PRC licensed lawyer, with 7-10+ years' related legal experience in a reputable law firm, asset management firm or investment bank
- Solid work experience dealing with legal and regulatory issues associated with the financial industry in China, particularly in asset management
- Native level expertise in Mandarin, business level fluency in English
- Outstanding law firm and law school credentials
- General knowledge and familiarity with asset management regulations and fund structures/documentation in the US/EMEA/Asia is preferred (but not a pre-requisite)
- High level of initiative, integrity, organization and commercial instincts
- Adept at developing interpersonal relationships, great team player
- Ability to think broadly and respond quickly when incidents arise and to engage appropriate stakeholders
- Superior analytical and decision-making skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Committed, self-motivated and proactive, with a desire to succeed