European Head Client Documentation CoE
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Deliver significant improvements and ultimately best in class in transactional execution and client experience across the Region, in terms of: TAT, productivity and process improvements. Balancing client alignment and risk mitigation controls and perspectives.
- To execute regionally the globally-consistent end-to-end best-in market transactional process model, maintaining high standards, controls, and levels of conduct & valued behaviours. Identify key processes for further client alignment. Collaborate with Control Function to revise operating and organizational models and to objectively review standards and quality of support provided. Engage impacted IMO teams, Legal etc and ensure seamless integration into the overall TOM of CIB and CB with minimal business disruptions.
- To support the expansion and evolution of the scope of the Client Documentation COE by including more processes and business segments, geographies.
- Align priorities with those of the business segments and countries and proactively participate and lead by example on high value / strategic matters.
- Manage daily escalation sessions to ensure ALL client negotiation impasses are effectively resolved with the appropriate stakeholders and revise processes accordingly and report and remedy needless impasses.
- Liaise with business teams on potential legal and regulatory changes, devising strategies to mitigate the same.
- Represent IMO in stakeholder discussions to ensure amendments to documentation are done taking into account client's viewpoint
- Lead / oversee the value chain, high profile investment grade MNC and Top & Next 100 and New 90 Strategic client documentation execution. Responsible for one stop negotiations to accelerate negotiations of European MNC clients by negotiating and making decisions on business, credit, legal, compliance and portfolio management challenges on IMO products and services.
- Support the implementation of the global operating model for all related processes (CDD, Account Opening, Account Maintenance, S2B activation, Credit Documentation, MIS, and off-boarding), and adherence to DOIs
- Support the process to improve the frontline client experience, by: reducing the number of hand-offs and referrals to business or Control Functions by formalising predetermined scenarios, circulating past precedents and empowering and up-skilling IMO resources.
- From a process and Client Lens perspective, review and identify opportunities to optimise people and processes and add value to client and the frontline making recommendations on:
- Bank Templates (existing and new). By proposing simplification, plain language and architectural considerations to the Global Templates Management Team.
- As IMO demonstrates increased competencies and experience, revisit and evolve the User Guides.
- Review, discuss and evolve with the appropriate legal, regulatory and compliance personnel, process interpretations and proposals, ensuring an optimal and proportionate end-state solution.
- Improve productivity and efficiency by collating, reviewing and acting upon client / business feedback from Service Review Meetings (SRM) between Business, Hub or Country operating teams, to enhance and maintain the optimum transactional global operating model.
People and Talent
- Coordinate and implement structured training and development programs for IMO resources in Region, instilling the appropriate culture and values, embedding a high level of team engagement producing an autonomous and high-performance team, competent, confident and rounded best-in-class negotiators, to reduce the number of hand-offs / referrals to accelerate TAT.
- Provide practical on-the-job legal and commercial support on day-to-day transactional matters, demonstrating best practices, case studies and analysing and discussing lessons learned;
- Implement structured training and development program comprising of Contract, Commercial and Company law, relevant legal principles and product and services provisions.
- Collaborate with Regional and Country Legal, Compliance, Credit and Risk on strategic and complex policy/ risk issues and actively solicit IMO / business / Client views and provide feedback for policy gaps, practices provided in other jurisdictions and revisions required.
- Proactively manage risks and establish / monitor controls, to improve the overall state of the risk management and transactional operating framework.
- Ensure the transactional operational controls, meet risk tolerance thresholds and continually review the same to ensure optimal tolerances.
- Manage remediation of the transactional operational controls, to ensure: policies, capability, process, and templates are brought up to and remain best in class.
- Provide insights and highlight risks/ mitigation to senior management, governance forums, and group teams based on understanding of country & regional dynamics and MIS & analytics.
- Ensure effective governance for IMO, adhering to applicable policies and external laws and regulations.
- Ensure risks are clearly identified and quantified, properly tabled in the appropriate forums and appropriate RCPS are done.
- Ensure strict adherence to regulatory requirements, best practices, and a state of ever-readiness for audit and regulatory reviews, with respect to IMO responsibilities.
- Senior escalation point for stakeholders on process and governance related issues.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Valued Behaviours and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, for self and managed staff. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance within the letter and spirit of the Group Code of Conduct and all applicable laws and regulations.
- Effectively and collaboratively identifying, escalating, mitigating and resolving risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- CIB and CB Business and COO teams
- GB, CB and CL PGC members
- Region and Country GB / CB Heads
- Business CIB/CB Finance
- CIB/CB HR
- Client Lifecycle Design Management Teams
- Regional and country COO/ CEO/ CIO teams
- GBS Hubs / Heads
- CORC / GB, CB & CL PGC secretariat
- CIB RC / CB Regional / CB MT members
- Legal; in-country, Region and Group
- Credit & Risk teams; in-countries, Region and Group
- Client Managers & Credit Analysts
- Product partners (FM, Cash/Trade)
- Regulators & other policy makers
- Law Firms
- External auditors
- Industry forums
- Relevant Trade Associations
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embedding the Group's brand and valued behaviours
- Effecting positive change together, installing a culture of how can I help, continually improving and simplifying the IMO operating model for the long term and always focussing on our clients (internal and external).
- Performing other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- A proven track-record of global / regional client execution across all banking products and services - preferably a senior pragmatic commercial negotiator with experience and exposure to a wide variety of clients, transactions and markets, with Relationship Manager / Control Function, solutions orientated mindsets.
- A very good understanding of the business - preferably on the job business experience in CIB.
- Very good knowledge of the regions - preferably a on-the job experience in the regions.
- Past experience of interacting with clients, understanding and appreciating their own operating model, expectations and mindsets.
- Strong leadership / advisory skills - in Legal and transactional teams across multiple countries.
- Good communication skills - oral, written and presentation.
- Good product knowledge including the processes and procedures
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .