As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
- Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
- Permanent, Full time
- GIZ GmbH
- 17 Oct 17
For an assignment as a development worker we are looking for the location Accra in Ghana for a
Development Worker (m/f) as advisor for the Programme for Sustainable Economic Development (PSED)
Master´s level IT / MIS degree / professional qualification with Accounting/Finance/
Field of activity
Financial Systems Development (FSD) is part of the Programme for Sustainable Economic Development (PSED) of GIZ. GIZ´s role with the microfinance association partner Ghana Co-operative Susu Collectors Association (GCSCA) is mainly to provide technical assistance to support monitoring and supervision of members. The Development Worker (DW) will be working as part of the FSD team at GIZ that is providing this support.
The DW is expected to provide technical support to GCSCA in the area of MIS/IT support, management of the association´s database and reporting system, training of the staff in IT related issues, conduct of research to support product innovation. GCSCA is the umbrella organization of all Regional Susu Collectors Co-operative Societies in Ghana. The Association has 10 regional cooperative societies in all regions of Ghana. GCSCA has been mandated by the Bank of Ghana to monitor and supervise its member susu collectors to operate soundly in the interest of clients and other stakeholders.
The Association´s members engage in susu collection services. Susu refers to mobilization of small savings deposits from clients (mainly low-income households and micro entrepreneurs) on a regular basis (usually daily) for safekeeping for a fixed period (usually 31 days) and returning the accumulated savings to the contributors on due dates, for a fee equivalent to one (1) day´s contribution. The savings mobilised are kept with formal financial institutions (mainly banks) until refund to the owners is due.
The DW will be stationed at the National office of the GCSCA. He/she will be working more closely with the Head of Monitoring & Supervision of GCSCA but will also support other staff of the National Secretariat on relevant issues including IT/MIS, electronic communications and research. At GIZ the selected DW will be working under direct supervision of the Senior Advisor for Financial Systems Development Unit (FSD) of the Programme for Sustainable Economic Development (PSED) of GIZ Ghana.
- Your tasks
- Support the management of the GCSCA database and reporting system.
- Research and advice on the deployment of new technologies and platforms for data collection.
- Training of GCSCA staff and member susu operators to use IT-based reporting.
- Assist the GCSCA Monitoring and Supervision Department in monitoring compliance and enforcement of sanctions.
- Support the Association in conducting Market Research and in developping and introducing new Susu related products for members
- Your profile
- You offer the following qualifications
- At least a Master´s Degree in IT and Accounting/Banking/ Finance/Economics and/or relevant professional qualification
- You offer the following competencies
- Good understanding of microfinance operations in Africa
- Experience in the development and management of MIS/IT and database systems
- Experience in supervision/audit of financial institutions
- Experience in development and management of apex Associations
- Experience in adult training facilitation
- Good presentation skills
- Excellent communication using English (both oral and written) and report writing skills
- Experience in working in a multicultural setting
For further information please visit: