AVP, Software Engineer, Asia
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- Manulife Hong Kong
- 24 Sep 18 2018-09-24
AVP, Software Engineer, Asia
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Global Software and Platform Engineering team exists to accelerate the delivery of software to our customers, by delivering core technology components that are leveraged across business solutions. This group supports business-line software development teams by providing reusable components that are assembled within a customer-facing solution and enabling their usage through hands-on support.
This position is accountable for the adoption, consistent implementation and operations of core technology components within customer-facing solutions throughout Asia, ensuring performance, supportability, and security. These solutions form the basis of our divisional digital strategies alongside our global technology strategy.
This leader will initially have a team of four individuals, which will grow over time with increased adoption of the platform.
The AVP, Software Engineering, Asia will:
- Enable software development across key divisional priorities through an embedded team of staff engineers, with a focus on accelerating consistent implementation of engineering patterns and approaches
- Oversee the reliability of the platform, specifically powering in-region capabilities, with a focus on delivery 99.99% availability and consistently improving resiliency as the platform scales
- Guide the development and evolution of engineering patterns, best practices, and reference implementations to consistently increase the rate of sharing and reuse across the globe
- Oversee and develop a distributed team of staff and platform reliability engineers
- Maintain an enterprise view on the evolution of software engineering and nurture experimentation in support of understanding emerging technologies
- Collaborate with software engineers, platform engineers, site reliability engineers, product managers, and engineering leadership to uncover pain points and opportunities to accelerate the delivery of new value through software
The AVP, Software Engineering, Asia will bring and continuously build upon the following skills:
- Proven leadership skills, with ability to establish a new organization, recruit and motivate technical resources, and manage to evolving priorities
- Experience in designing and articulating the architecture of cloud-native solutions at-scale
- Strong understanding of agile and DevOps principles, test-driven development, continuous integration, and other approaches to accelerate the delivery of new features
- Strong verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively articulate and communicate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes across all levels in the organization
- Developing junior engineers and a passion for growing staff within the organization
- An entrepreneurial spirit and comfort working within a rapidly changing startup environment; the candidate loves the challenge of working on a small team and being part of a larger movement to change the engineering culture of an enterprise
- Experimenting with emerging technologies and understanding how they will impact what comes next
- A capacity for constant learning from both success and failure, remaining open to change and continuous improvement
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities that enable the candidate to manage through creative abrasion
- Enabling software development teams at different levels of capability and maturity; candidate will assess needs and partner with regional leaders to ensure teams are set up for success
- Prioritization across initiatives; candidate will demonstrate demand and partner with regional leaders to ensure alignment of priorities
- Capacity to support exponential growth on the PaaS; candidate will measure and communicate growth, with efficiencies realized to meet exponential consumption with linear operational growth
- Recognizing operational problems driven by implementation issues; candidate will drive objective assessment in order to influence and enable implementation changes
Position Dimensions (Organizational Impact):
- 90+ software developers supported in region (currently building on PaaS) and growing
- 4 initial employees under direct supervision
- $1M annual budget under direct control
- Primary focus on software development within growth businesses
If you are ready to unleash your potential it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.