This role will focus on providing support to the portfolio management and trading teams, taking responsibility for day-to-day tasks and processes associated with order generation, pre-trade compliance, portfolio guideline monitoring and monitoring of day-to-day cash and FX exposures within the portfolios managed in Hong Kong and Shanghai
The Fixed Income Investment Team manages money for investors across the globe. The group comprises expertise in Portfolio Management, Trading, Quantitative and Credit Analysis and Investment Services. The Fixed Income group are based in London, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Singapore.
Its investment philosophy includes:
- A belief that investors must look beyond traditional sources of alpha
- A team-based strategy that combines distinct disciplines to consistently identify a wide range of investment ideas with the highest probability of success
- A commitment to proprietary research that provides enough ideas to build diversified portfolios
- A quantitative team that is integral to identifying alpha and providing rigorous risk analysis
Fixed Income benefits from FlL's status as a private company which has invested significantly to support the growth of Fixed Income. This investment is set to continue and the goal is a scalable and versatile infrastructure that combines the latest technologies with talented personnel.
Purpose of your role
The role is part of the Asia Pacific Investment Operations team within Investment Solutions and Services (ISS) supporting the Asian Fixed Income Team based in Hong Kong & Shanghai. This role will focus on providing support to the portfolio management and trading teams, taking responsibility for day-to-day tasks and processes associated with order generation, pre-trade compliance, portfolio guideline monitoring and monitoring of day-to-day cash and FX exposures within the portfolios managed in Hong Kong and Shanghai. The role will also have significant involvement in project work, whether this is related to the set up of new markets and instruments, on-boarding of institutional accounts or launch/closure activity related to pooled funds. This role will join a team of 3 individuals based in HK, working in close collaboration to support all Asian fixed income portfolios. Together with the rest of the team, this role will work closely with the Fixed Income PSG team based in London to develop a consistent operating model across locations. The growth and evolution of the Asian fixed income business and team will require the individual to be flexible and willing to take on new challenges. A "can do" attitude is important, as is the ability to develop relationships across the organisation to facilitate delivering solutions and support to the team.
Portfolio Services Group
- Take hands-on responsibility for supporting the Asian-based portfolio management and trading teams (Hong Kong & Shanghai) across all day-to-day operational support tasks
- Specific responsibilities may include order sizing and order generation across all security types, FX order generation, portfolio monitoring (duration, guidelines, cash etc.), pre-trade compliance monitoring, liaising with Investment Compliance on portfolio guidelines, security set-up, managing standing instructions, monitoring cash flows, generating cash reports, developing tools to facilitate portfolio monitoring, facilitating corporate actions etc.
- Support for the trading desk may involve liaising with FlL's middle & back office teams and custodians as needed to facilitate trade settlement, set up accounts, ISDAs, new instruments, monitor pricing, monitor corporate actions etc.
- Participate in business change projects to support the needs of the Asian Fixed Income business as it grows in size and complexity
- Proactively manage the needs and requests of portfolio managers and traders balancing scalability and risk considerations
- Expected to be proactive by suggesting enhancements to work flow and processes to increase efficiency and reduce risk particularly within portfolio management and trading
- Actively engage with the technology team to support the fixed income platform strengthening work (a key priority for the fixed income business)
- Work alongside data governance and operations to support data quality priorities locally
- Develop strong working relationships with the UK fixed income team, in particular PMs and trading
- Develop strong working relationships and close collaboration with the London-based investment operations teams supporting fixed income PSG, Trading Operations, Analytics and Change Delivery teams to ensure process consistency and best practice is adopted where appropriate
- Develop strong working relationships with key teams within Global Business Operations, Investment Compliance and other oversight functions to facilitate support of portfolio managers and traders
- Take on any other ad hoc tasks or functions needed to support the Asian Fixed Income business as it grows and evolves
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Excellent spoken and written English, Mandarin a significant advantage
- Some experience with Fixed Income related support functions (investment management operations, middle or back office support functions) preferable. Experience in investment compliance (in particular Fixed Income) a significant advantage
- A keen desire to learn and be part of a "team of teams" environment
- A client centric mindset with a desire and willingness to be hands on - an attitude that "no job is too small" is key
- Results-oriented, proactive with a "can do" attitude
- Flexibility and willingness to take on new tasks is essential in what is an environment of rapid change
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills, strong focus on detail & accuracy
- Advanced knowledge of Excel including the ability to write macros, develop pivot tables and reports is a distinct
- Ability to build effective working relationships across key functions and departments both within & outside the investment teams
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and multitask
- 4-7 years' working experience preferably in the financial sector
- Commitment to achieving the CFA designation if investment background is limited