Corporate Services, Engineering Manager – Design & Projects, Vice President, Hong Kong
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 21 Nov 17 2017-11-21
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
About The Role
To provide strategic and tactical design management for the engineering process of a project from conception to completion. The Engineering Manager will report directly to the Asia Head of Engineering.
This role is primarily focused on work within the Asia region although input into a number of global initiatives, including benchmarking projects both regionally and globally, will also fall within the role.
1 PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1.1 MANAGEMENT & REPORTING:
Assisting the Asia Head of Engineering to:
• Liaise with client groups to ascertain project requirements and formulate proposals for delivery of the same.
• Work closely with Asia Engineering, projects and Operations teams on Engineering related matters and escalations.
Advise on the proper implementation of Morgan Stanley design process through the feasibility, scheme design, detailed design, construction and handover phases of designated projects.
• Advise on the project brief and manage the approval process in conjunction with the Project Manager through the MER approval process..
• Manage the appropriate documentation and sign offs take place at strategic times during the project. Delivering full auditing capability of all aspects of the design management process.
• Provide “quick start” guidelines to assist the building operations team to understand the design philosophies for the project and the operating systems to accompany the handover documents.
• Participate in production of engineering bulletins for Morgan Stanley.
• Provide consultative support as required to other business groups within Morgan Stanley on any engineering requirements.
• Review and technically analyse relevant new product innovations.
1.2 GLOBAL INTERFACE:
• Regular liaison with the global Design Management team advising on a series of global initiatives including the benchmarking of projects and design process.
2 PROJECT RELATED
• Co-ordinate and manage the Design processes and supporting procedures to facilitate effective communication to the Project Managers, and the professional members of the team from the outset of a project.
• Manage the design process lifecycle (Feasibility, Scheme design, Detailed Design, Construction, Handover) with other external consultants ensuring that effective communication takes place within the wider design and project management team. Manage the proper compliance of the project process at each stage attending meetings as necessary to achieve this.
Such stages will be project specific and may include:-
• Client Brief, Due Diligence, Project Brief, Budget
• Consultant Appointments, Design Development, Value Engineering, Design Approvals
• Design Reviews, Budget Reviews, Tender Processes and Appointment
• Evaluation of Tenders, Review Instillation, Change Control, Practical Completion
• Testing and Commissioning, Handover Procedures and Close-out Reports
At each stage of a project the Consultant will provide strategic support to the wider project management team and manage the input of other consultants to ensure that the appropriate processes and procedures are completed in due time.
2.2.1 FEASIBILITY STAGE:
• Assemble the Project Brief and advise on the budget and assist the project manager to secure sign-off of both documents.
• Develop with the Project Manager the overall strategy plan for the project.
• Compile feasibility reports as required.
• In liaison with the Project Manager and Procurement Department, advise when the other consultant appointment documentation has been fully documented and within agreed expenditure limits.
• Reviewing, with the Project Manager, the other consultant budgets for the proposed works against the Project Brief prior to incorporation into the Feasibility Report. This will include where applicable benchmark checks with other similar projects.
• Assist the Project Manager to review, the consultant budgets for the proposed works against the Project Brief prior to incorporation into the Feasibility Report. This will include where applicable benchmark checks with other similar projects.
- Liaise with the Design Manager to ensure that the Project Team are aware from the outset of a project, and make appropriate provision within project schedules / programs, the obligations imposed on that project in respect to submitting and gaining approvals for the works.
2.2.2 SCHEME DESIGN STAGE
• Manage the Scheme Design process and sign off stage ensuring that appropriate design validation has taken place, including:
- Value Engineer / Value Manage the design to this stage;
- Confirm the Scheme Design is within the financial constraints of the approved budget; or
- Confirm that a Scope Revision is required as a result of design development / Client Change.
2.2.3 DETAILED DESIGN STAGE
• Review with the Project Manager the Certificates of Readiness to Proceed for each relevant trade / contractor package prior to its issue for tender.
• Manage the scheme detailed design process and sign off stage ensuring that appropriate design validation has taken place.
2.2.4 CONSTRUCTION STAGE
• Provide technical input to the formal change control processes.
• Ensure that regular reviews of construction against the approved design take place and any mitigation or recovery plans required are implemented.
• Advise on the performance of the appointed consultants in their supervision of the main and various trade contractors during construction.
• Review with the Project Manager any mitigation or recovery plans in terms of impact on design.
• Advise on the performance of the appointed consultants in their effective production and approval process of all relevant hand over documentation.
• Ensure that formal handover documentation is generated at the appropriate times, reviewed and approved as appropriate.
• Ensure that all relevant items from the close out check list are completed prior to the operational handover of the space.
• Where necessary attend factory visits to ensure compliance of plant and equipment with specifications.
2.2.5 COMMISSIONING STAGE
• Review and input to the commissioning procedures prior to commissioning starting on site.
• Witness commissioning and testing as appropriate.
• Advise when all the commissioning documentation has been reviewed and signed off by the appointed consultants for the project.
• Review commissioning data against design parameters and where necessary arrange for corrective action.
2.2.6 HANDOVER STAGE
• In liaison with the Project Manager ensure that all appropriate handover documentation, training and spares have been reviewed prior to handover to the functional group.
• In liaison with the Project Manager ensure that defects are communicated properly through the project team to the respective contractors.
• In liaison with the Project Manager identify the appointed consultant’s identity and implement appropriate close out periods for the contractors’ accounts and works completion.
• B.Eng in Building Services or equivalent with an emphasis on electrical
• Must be motivated, have excellent organisational, coordination and communications skills
• Be able to work under pressure and provide innovative solutions to complex problems
• Minimum of 8 years design background with applied practical experience
• A working understanding of testing and commissioning an advantage