Deputy Head, Market Integrity APAC, Monitoring and Surveillance
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career opportunity in an international, challenging business environment characterized by high pace and diversity with focus on creating valuable relations with our customers. We offer a competitive salary & benefits package and also an excellent work environment where you’re valued as part of our team!About BNP Paribas in Asia Pacific ( www.apac.bnpparibas )
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 15,000 employees* and a presence in 14 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 74 countries with more than 190,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career opportunity in an international, challenging business environment characterized by high pace and diversity with focus on creating valuable relations with our customers. We offer a competitive salary & benefits package and also an excellent work environment where you're valued as part of our team!
* excluding partnerships
The Market Integrity (MI) APAC Monitoring and Surveillance (M&S) teams in Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan perform monitoring and surveillance function on Global Markets, ALMT and Investment Banking businesses within APAC. The Deputy Head, MI APAC M&S will support the Head, MI APAC M&S Market Integrity Surveillance Responsible Officer (MISRO) and the M&S Team in defining, promoting and reinforcing APAC monitoring and surveillance strategy and principles and controls.
Run the bank
• Actively participate to the day-to-day activities of all monitoring and surveillance teams in APAC, which include, amongst others, Actimize and SMARTS trade surveillance, electronic communication surveillance, voice recording surveillance, as well as the performance of quality assurance and model reviews within the MI APAC M&S teams
• Regular interaction with local heads of Global Markets business lines and Desk Heads throughout APAC as well as with Risk and other support functions on all matters related to suspicious activities Working with Global Markets and Institutional Banking Compliance teams, Front, Middle and Back office staff, including FOCS (Front Office Conduct & Surveillance), to ensure that appropriate controls, surveillance reports and written supervisory procedures are in place to support and monitor any new business/product across the 1st and 2nd Lines of Defense
• Coordinating with the local Country Compliance heads and dedicated Global Markets and Institutional Banking Compliance officers on all surveillance matters related to local and cross border transactions and to establish the required Compliance testing programs and control reviews
• Coordination of all local Compliance Surveillance heads in APAC
• Contribution to BNP Paribas generic control framework.
• The above may require regular travel and have face to face meetings in order to provide assurance that there is effective regional surveillance oversight of the local teams as well as the conformance to regional and group standards.
Change the Bank
Strategy & Change Management
• Contribute, promote and reinforce Compliance Strategy and Principles
• Assist the Head, MI APAC M&S to build and embed new regional Compliance Surveillance management reporting framework in to APAC Surveillance, Strategy, Change & Transformation to ensure all local Compliance Surveillance Heads receive guidance and strategy as cascaded down by Group and CIB MI Domain and to effect the required changes
• Implement effective and successful delivery of all APAC Surveillance projects under direct responsibility
• Take ownership of some APAC MI change and transformation projects, which include, amongst others:
o The mutualization and integration of surveillance controls and processes for all other BNPP APAC business métiers
• Participating in the implementation of electronic communication surveillance to all front office business lines within the Global Markets and Institutional Banking businesses, as well as similar business lines in other priority Asia Pacific countries
• Actively cooperate with APAC MI Domain stakeholder on various projects including Audit, and set up of new controls.
• Maintain and enhance existing Compliance trade surveillance policies and procedures
• Understand the impact of other strategic initiatives and engage with appropriate teams to identify interdependencies
• Be pro-active regarding surveillance digital technology including:
o Identify opportunities and influence the direction of surveillance digital technology implementations
o Drive Compliance surveillance technology development and implementation for APAC needs
o Digitalization of various surveillance processes; ongoing horizon scanning for digital technology including the evaluation of vendor systems and services
o Continual review of Compliance surveillance processes for potential deployment of digital technology leading to efficiencies
o Leverage enabling technologies to achieve cost avoidance and cost savings
• Assist the Head, MI APAC M&S to supervise first level surveillance processes to the appropriate sites including ISPL in India
• The above may require regular travel and have face to face meetings to effectively embed and improve the regional oversight and M&S structure as well as successful implementation and embedding of project and change strategy and deliverables.
• Understand business, Compliance and IT issues and challenges, take direct responsibility for the coordination of relevant business and Compliance Surveillance Technology change tasks
• Introduce effective new governance and transparency to APAC Compliance Surveillance Technology projects
• Assist the Head, MI APAC M&S to maintain APAC Compliance surveillance digital and non-digital technology mapping
• Standardize and integrate current fragmented and complex processes & system structures through a coordinated Transformation Program
• Implementing and improving the integration of Business Analysis and Change Management
• Assist the Head, MI APAC M&S who is the APAC contact point for Compliance surveillance digital strategy
• Act as enabler and conduit for the primary stakeholders and their relationship with senior management, business, various IT teams and vendors etc
• Provide briefings to senior Group & CIB Compliance and GM business stakeholders such as GBL Heads
Identify and engage key stakeholders across businesses and functions
To assist the Head, MI APAC M&S for continuous end-to-end review of MI APAC M&S surveillance structure
• Review APAC Compliance Surveillance Structure
o Review governance across APAC Local Heads of Surveillance
o Review operating model for Local BAU, ISPL and Project & Change Management
o Review resource strategy for Local BAU, ISPL and Project & Change Management
o Conduct risk assessment for Trade Surveillance, E-comms Surveillance and Voice Surveillance in each Local BAU team and ISPL
o Review Risk Assessment, Gap Analysis, Regulatory Mapping for each Local Compliance Surveillance regulators risk & control requirements
o Review all APAC remediation plans and Projects, Program Objectives & PID, Project Governance & Risk Mitigation Controls
o Review reporting framework for APAC Compliance Surveillanceo
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
• University graduate with major in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance or Law or equivalent qualification
• At least 10-15 years' regulatory or compliance experience, experience in monitoring and surveillance is mandatory
• Demonstrated staff management experience across different countries and nationalities.
• Demonstrate capacity for sound project management, analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to exercise sound and balanced judgment.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and consult at all levels, especially with senior management.
• Committed to confidentiality, integrity and objectivity
• Excellent knowledge of securities markets, businesses, products
• Familiar with securities and exchange rules and regulations
• Proactive in identifying risks and proposing solutions
• Good written and oral communication skills
• High attention to details
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work under tight deadlines