- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Hong Kong
- 08 Sep 17
Director, Business Operational Risk Management
- Location: Hong Kong
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Please view Job Description for details.Standard Chartered is a leading international banking group operating for over 150 years in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. We've built a successful and sustainable business by playing a fundamental role in economies, helping people and businesses grow and achieve their aspirations. With over 89,000 employees representing 127 nationalities, we value the diversity and unique perspectives amongst our people. We are committed to developing their strengths and enabling them to make a difference to our success by helping them fulfil their potential.
The Business Operational Risk Manager represents the Commercial Banking (CB) business as a first line of defence, implements the Standard Chartered Operational Risk Framework (ORF), and supports the Group's Operational Risk policy and associated operational risk procedures to ensure that operational risk is effectively managed at the business unit level. The Business Operational Risk Manager must focus on CB controls, governance and supervision at all times
Key Roles and Responsibilities
* Ensure that all material operational risks are identified, assessed, mitigated, monitored and reported to relevant governance forums
* Assist in Managing the Business Operational Risk Forum (BORF) in the country. Ensure absolute adherence to country BAU OR deadlines and effective business escalation from BORF to the Country Operational Risk Committee (CORC), Process Governance Committee, and Group Business Risk Committee (GBRC)
* Manage peer reviews in the CB business including the front office; this may involve travel to other markets to conduct such reviews and share best practice
* Develop control enhancements to ensure that any known risks are controlled within acceptable boundaries and consistent standards.
* Align business strategy with operational risk appetite and seek to optimise the business' risk-return profile.
* Mentor CB staff across all segments on business controls, governance and supervision
* Be the go-to person for the business, for all operational risk related incidents/queries/events that arise, and become a business 'Front to Back' subject matter expert in all products offered in the market
* Coordinate with stakeholders in the country and with other CB Operational Risk Managers to increase transparency and share key learnings and best practice
* Ensure compliance with policies applicable to CB which impact operational risk. Challenge processes, procedures and policy if there is a better way to do things
* Escalate issues, blockages, challenges and trends to the COO and CB Head when required
* Speak Out about emerging risks or Unknown-Unknowns and try and change the way things are done - making BAU (your job) easier
* Focus on Regulations, regulatory compliance and associated operational risks
* Network extensively, and drive change / improvements
Qualifications and Skills
*Knowledge of CB products
*Relevant business/function experience in operations, business analysis or project management
*Clear understanding of the Bank's Operational Risk Framework or equivalent experience gained in other organizations
*Sound judgment with critical thinking skills and courage necessary to perform a control role and maintain effective working relationships
*Strong analytical skills, detail-focused with the ability to interpret large amounts of information
*Problem solving skills with ability to influence at all levels of the business
*Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Third Party Applications
Please note: Applications from third parties are not accepted unless by invitation.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Standard Chartered is an equal opportunity employer. We have a meritocratic culture where each individual employee is valued and respected for who they are as a person and for what they bring to the organisation.