Finance - Financial Reporting & Legal Entity Controller, Associate/ Manager (Hong Kong)
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 20 Jul 18 2018-07-20
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 747 offices in 42 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to Firmwide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Financial Control Group (FCG) is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators. For internal reporting FCG, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarizes, plans and forecasts the organization’s financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. FCG is comprised of Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Review.
The Legal Entity Controllers group is responsible for the accounting, reporting and oversight of Morgan Stanley's core legal entities. The group's responsibilities include, but are not limited to, preparation of financial statements, regulatory filings, monthly closing of the Firm’s books and records, analytics, entity-specific accounting policy, legal entity maintenance, account reconciliation and account structure maintenance.
- Monthly financial close including analytical review and sign off balance sheet, P&L accounts for each legal entity.
- Review and analysis of financials and regulatory ratios for key stakeholders. Ensure compliance with local GAAP and US GAAP.
- Ensure compliance with internal standards, controls and policies.
- Production of revenue reporting and management reporting packs for businesses.
- Monitor and analyze movements of P&L and balance sheet from management and legal entity perspective.
- Drive process improvement process through refinement in data quality and enhanced control.
- Engagement in various cross-divisional ad-hoc projects and assisting in queries from stakeholders.
This role provides an excellent opportunity for an individual to gain knowledge of financial industry and to build a strong network of contacts across divisions and Finance teams in Asia.
- Post graduate caliber individual with at least 5 years accounting / management reporting experience, specifically in financial institution.
- Analytical mindset and good problem solving ability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to interact with senior stakeholders or across divisions.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and manage multiple activities to meet key deadlines.
- Proactive self-starter, comfortable with working autonomously when necessary and willing to assume extended responsibility.
- Fluent in verbal and written English. Fluency in Mandarin is an advantage.