Finance - Tax, Investment Management Coverage, Vice President (Hong Kong)
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 42 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career, a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firms books and records, and by contributing to Firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Tax Department reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 200 employees worldwide. The Tax Department is responsible for global tax compliance, tax accounting, business unit tax advice and tax planning for the Firm.
Global Tax Advisory Group (GTAG)
Morgan Stanley's Global Tax Advisory Group is a division within the Morgan Stanley Tax Department that is responsible for providing coverage of tax issues relating to Morgan Stanley-sponsored products.
The GTAG team that is dedicated to support of Morgan Stanley's Investment Management Funds business (BU) is seeking a lawyer or accountant with 8 or more years of global tax consulting experience with real estate, private equity and/or credit funds, to provide tax oversight for Morgan Stanley-sponsored investment funds.
Specific responsibilities would include:
- Taking a lead role in coordinating tax advice with consultants, external advisors, Morgan Stanley's global tax team, and BU deal teams on the tax structuring of funds and investments to ensure tax-efficiency and alignment with the Morgan Stanley funds' risk profile.
- Assisting with the development of tax-efficient structures for real estate, private equity and other funds with U.S. and non-U.S. investments.
- Regularly advising the BU in connection with, monitoring and managing tax risks and reviewing the structuring of existing products and investments.
- Monitoring and coordinating tax sign-off, documentation of tax positions and relevant tax reporting of investment structures and fund vehicles.
- Advising the business units on guidelines for the tax structuring of investment acquisitions and dispositions.
- Working closely with senior members of the BU in raising investor capital.
- As part of a global team, candidate may be required to travel. Qualifications:
- Strong project management and people management skills.
- Experience in international / cross-border transactions including liaising with international network of advisers.
- Thorough knowledge of taxation of private equity and real estate investments and funds.
- Strong background with international (in particular, Asian) tax systems, (including familiarity with OECD?s BEPS initiative and related developments) as well as U.S rules.
- Significant client responsibility within either big four accounting firm or law firm or experience overseeing internal tax group.
This candidate should have a law degree or be a licensed CPA and must possess strong technical and analytical abilities, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work independently. The position requires skill in communicating with a global, diverse group of colleagues. The candidate must have a high level of personal commitment and be self-motivated, innovative and flexible, a team player, and be able to work under pressure to tight deadlines. This position may require limited travel.