Financial Sector Expert/Senior Financial Sector Expert (Bank Resolution)
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- International Monetary Fund
- 09 Jul 18 2018-07-09
The Financial Sector Expert/Senior Financial Sector Expert will be responsible for working in a team environment on the development, monitoring, and implementation of policies in the areas of contingency planning, financial safety nets, and resolution of financial institutions. S/he will participate in UFR and near-crisis country work, the Financial Sector Assessment Program, technical assistance missions, and work on special projects in relevant areas. The selected candidate will be part of a team of experienced financial sector experts in MCM’s FC Division, reporting to the Division Chief.
The main responsibilities of the Monetary and Capital Markets (MCM) Department's Financial Crisis Preparedness and Management Division (FC) are to:
- Provide policy and technical support on financial sector restructuring for program country work, and help ensure the consistency of MCM policy positions, including by taking the lead in MCM review of documents on crisis and near-crisis countries;
- Coordinate MCM participation in Fund-wide policies in the area of program conditionality and use of Fund resources (UFR);
- Assess the effectiveness of financial sector resolution and safety nets frameworks and help strengthen crisis preparedness, directly and through the Area Departments, particularly in vulnerable countries;
- Provide advice on crisis management measures, including crisis containment, financial sector restructuring and resolution, and management of distressed assets, directly and through the Area Departments;
- Develop and disseminate policy positions in the areas of contingency planning, resolution of financial institutions, financial safety nets, and management of distressed assets;
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building on crisis preparedness and management, including the backstopping of external experts; and
- Liaise with standards setting bodies and other international organizations on deposit insurance, distressed asset management, and resolution-related topics, including to develop and assess compliance with international standards.
The candidate should have an advanced academic degree in business administration, economics, finance, law, or related fields. In addition, the candidate should:
- Have at least 10 years of relevant professional work experience.
- Have experience in firm-specific corrective action and resolution, including designing and implementing the diagnosis and restructuring of problem banks;
- Having had exposure to management of system-wide financial distress from either national authorities or from experience in international financial institutions;
- Demonstrate creativity, initiative, and sound judgment; and have excellent negotiating skills along with strong oral and written communication.
The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including gender, nationality, culture and educational background