Head of APAC Compliance Monitoring & Surveillance
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a leading global financial services company with $2.0 trillion in assets and offices in over 37 countries. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides asset management, capital raising and advisory, financing, foreign exchange, payments, risk management, and trade finance services to support customers who conduct business in the global economy. At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers' financial needs and help them succeed financially. We also value the viewpoints of our team members and encourage them to be their best. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you will feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience. We are looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you. Learn more at our International Careers website .
Market Job Description
The APAC Compliance Department provides compliance governance and risk management coverage for Wells Fargo team members and lines of business in the Wells Fargo Asia Pacific (APAC) region.
Reporting to the APAC Compliance Chief Operating Officer, the key purpose of the role is to develop, enhance, perform and maintain a compliance monitoring and surveillance program for the APAC region. The role will provide primary coverage of trade and communications surveillance, as well as executing and coordinating on compliance monitoring activities as per the Wells Fargo Compliance Program Policy and other associated requirements.
The role will require an individual with experience gained at a large multi-national financial institutions, including a deep understanding of regulatory expectations around monitoring and surveillance, experience of developing and implementing compliance monitoring and surveillance programs and activities, and experience in interacting with teams responsible for these activities.
Within APAC, Wells Fargo's activities include sales and trading across multiple products, investment banking and capital markets, corporate and commercial banking, transaction banking and asset management.
The role will involve liaison with the existing Compliance monitoring and surveillance teams in the US and coordinating with the regional Compliance teams in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), Canada and Latin America to develop an international and integrated approach to compliance monitoring and surveillance.
The role will also support the build out of the APAC Compliance Department to support a growing business, including the enhancement of policies, procedures, processes and training across the APAC region.
(Note: In addition to these functions, the team member is required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required.) Responsibilities include:
- Partnering with Compliance teams (including EMEA, Canada and Latin America Compliance teams) and other stakeholders, develop, enhance and maintain the APAC region's compliance monitoring and surveillance program covering the APAC region for all lines of businesses, including trade and communications surveillance as part of the International Compliance surveillance framework.
- Coordination and execution of compliance monitoring and surveillance activities to demonstrate oversight on team members' adherence to applicable APAC and US regulations.
- Assist in the development of a team responsible for compliance monitoring and surveillance activities for the APAC Compliance Department.
- Develop appropriate management information / reporting for Compliance and Business Management.
- Participate in and provide compliance support for regulatory/business projects and initiatives, ensuring monitoring and surveillance requirements are identified and addressed.
- Report and escalate potential and actual violations of regulatory obligations.
- Assist in the development of, and maintenance of, the relevant manual and procedures and any corresponding requirements specific to the APAC region.
- Support Enterprise Testing & Validation and Internal Audit, and where appropriate, take responsibility for addressing corrective action plans in respect of compliance monitoring and surveillance.
- Develop relationships with International and US monitoring and surveillance teams and leverage resources within Wells Fargo to enhance the compliance monitoring and surveillance program.
- In-conjunction with the APAC Compliance leadership team, develop and implement a strategic plan for compliance monitoring and surveillance, including resourcing and operating model design.
- Identify opportunities to enhance existing monitoring and surveillance processes and recommend areas for improvement.
- Pro-actively identify and manage compliance risk.
Market Skills and Certifications
- Education / Experience - Educated to degree level, with significant Compliance monitoring and surveillance experience background gained at an international financial institution. Experience from a top tier investment bank highly regarded.
- Regulatory knowledge - Good knowledge of Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and APAC regulations and expectations of regulators re surveillance. US regulatory knowledge is desirable.
- Product knowledge - Good product knowledge of a broad range of businesses including Sales and Trading, Investment Banking, Commercial Banking and Asset Management businesses. Excellent understanding of surveillance practice including familiarity with surveillance technology and the use of data.
- Global Outlook - Proven ability to work in global teams across multiple regions including APAC.
- Team working and Leadership - proven track record of working collaboratively across multiple business lines and with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels but also of taking the lead as needs dictate. An ability to motivate team members for common progress is essential.
- Communication - excellent interpersonal, communication (written and oral) skills are essential with an ability to liaise professionally and with diplomacy across all levels of staff.
- Drive - a self-starter who is proactive and with a demonstrated ability to drive through regulatory change.
- Analytical skills - the candidate must be highly analytical with experience in collecting, analyzing, and synthesizing information on various subjects.
- Problem solving skills - the candidate must demonstrate the ability to identify key issues, and obtain appropriate information for further analysis.
Leadership Expectations at Wells Fargo
As a Team Member manager, you are expected to achieve success by leading yourself, your team, and the business. Specifically you will:
- Lead your team with integrity and create an environment where your team members feel included, valued, and supported to do work that energizes them.
- Accomplish management responsibilities which include sourcing and hiring talented team members, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing team members, identifying and managing risks, and completing daily management tasks.
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by applicable law. We comply with all applicable laws in every jurisdiction in which we operate.