- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 24 May 18 2018-05-24
The Role: We are seeking a dynamic Legal Counsel to work in our Hong Kong office, reporting to the Australia-based Asia-Pacific Head of Legal and Regulatory Affairs. In coordination with your colleagues, you will be responsible for advising our business on a broad range of issues with a primary focus on advising our analytical teams working on transactions across Greater China. Our business is engaged in the provision of credit ratings and related analytical services.
The Impact: You will serve as one of the primary advisors to our ratings analytical teams in Greater China in connection with their analysis of specific debt capital markets issues and the impact of corporate and insolvency laws. You will be working autonomously in Hong Kong, but as part of a well-connected, global team providing advice to our business on regulatory, governance, analytical and commercial matters.
The Career Opportunity: You will get a chance to develop and apply skills at both a technical and a strategic level, and gain experience across the Asia-Pacific region.
The Team / The Business: You will be part of the Global Legal and Regulatory Affairs team, working in close contact with colleagues regionally and globally. The team operates on lean principles and is focused on providing efficient and effective legal advice to our analytical teams, as well as advice on regulatory and governance issues affecting our business and in support of our business strategies.
Your Skills: Ideally you would have demonstrated experience working on debt capital market transactions originating from Mainland China and/or experience advising on banking and insolvency law matters. Knowledge of securitization transactions would also be valuable. You should be comfortable in monitoring and providing advice on legal developments and/or regulatory requirements in Greater China. Importantly, you should be comfortable working on your own with your direct manager and colleagues located in different countries.
Our Hiring Manager says: "I'm looking for a practical lawyer with a transactional focus who can work autonomously and would enjoy a key regional role as part of our small and diverse team. You'll have the opportunity to work closely with colleagues in many areas. You'll play an important role in driving our strategic objectives in this dynamic market."
- Provide legal advice to Ratings Analysts in relation to specific transactional issues as well as the implications of applicable laws in specific scenarios in the context of the rating analytical process.
- Work with the Legal and Regulatory Affairs team members in the region and globally to monitor legal developments across Greater China and help develop strategies to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide general legal advice to your business colleagues in connection with commercial contract matters, strategic and new business initiatives
- A law degree from a reputable tertiary institution.
- Qualified to practice law in Hong Kong, and/or PRC.
- 5+ years' experience in the financial services/securities/corporate transactional law area in Hong Kong/PRC.
- General knowledge of Asia-Pacific regional markets and regulatory environments.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and negotiation skills, including the ability to influence others who are not in the same line of authority.
- Demonstrated ability to drive consensus across business groups, close-out issues/projects and deal with challenging situations at all levels of the business in a resilient, confident and practical manner.
- Excellent problem-solving skills informed by deep and varied experience in forging solutions.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and effective manner.
- The ability to work in both English and Mandarin is preferred.
About S&P Global Ratings
S&P Global Ratings is the world's leading provider of independent credit ratings. Our ratings are essential to driving growth, providing transparency and helping educate market participants so they can make decisions with confidence. We have more than 1 million credit ratings outstanding on government, corporate, financial sector and structured finance entities and securities. We offer an independent view of the market built on a unique combination of broad perspective and local insight. We provide our opinions and research about relative credit risk; market participants gain independent information to help support the growth of transparent, liquid debt markets worldwide.
S&P Global Ratings is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence.For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/ratings
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.