About Global Legal The Global Legal team has approximately 80 staff across the globe with lawyers sitting in most Fidelity offices. Legal's mission is to contribute to good customer outcomes and the growth of Fidelity by providing effective, accurate and business orientated legal advice and company secretarial services - delivering pragmatic solutions in partnership with our internal clients and external stakeholders while protecting Fidelity's interests.
About Asia Pacific Legal
The Asia Pacific Legal team consists of more than 20 staff based in countries throughout the region. The Asia Pacific legal team is responsible for negotiating and drafting investment management agreements, distribution agreements, fund documentation for SICAV funds and regulatory filings related to the funds in the Asia Pacific region (ex Japan / Australia). The team also supports the Direct sales channel in the offering of Fidelity and third party managed retail funds in Hong Kong. In addition, the team provides general legal support and regulatory advice to Fidelity businesses across the region.
Purpose of your role
The legal counsel is a contract role for 4-6 months and responsible for assisting the team to manage all legal risk in Fidelity's businesses in Asia Pacific with a particular focus on Hong Kong business lines. This is accomplished by providing solution driven legal support to internal clients.
- Advise on various legal issues arising from Fidelity's business in Asia Pacific region (ex Japan/Australia).
- Implement solution driven legal strategies for all business initiatives and products
- Prepare and obtain registration of SICAV and MPF and other retirement funds and fund documents including prospectuses and other constitutive documents in the region, primarily in Hong Kong
- Review distribution and institutional agreements in the region, primarily in Hong Kong
- Keep abreast of amendments and changes in applicable regulations and legislation, and provide summaries to business management as applicable
- Assist the Asia Pacific (ex Japan/Australia) Regional Legal teams to deliver on all objectives relevant to Fidelity's businesses in the region.
- Assist in the implementation of strategies to ensure that legal and regulatory requirements are met and aligned with business needs
- Partner with compliance to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with all regulators and industry groups
- Partner with Asia Pacific regional teams and global legal colleagues to promote a consistent approach and application of standard procedures, practices and implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Partner with general counsel group peers ensure consistent and integrated delivery across general counsel functions.
- Partner across the firm to ensure the Legal and Compliance functions are aligned with controls and reporting disciplines implemented across Fidelity.
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Licensed to practice law with relevant post-qualification experience (5-6 years) in a law firm or financial services environment or with a local regulatory organization.
- Fluent oral English with excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Chinese fluency strongly preferred but not mandatory
- Appreciation for cultural differences within a multinational firm.
- Customer focused. Shows initiative, commitment, and a strong work ethic with high standards of excellence, honesty and integrity. Strong organisation skills with an ability to multi-task and prioritise workload.
- Confidence and perseverance in addressing challenges and overcoming obstacles. Personal ownership and accountability for delivering on commitments and holding people accountable for delivering on their commitments and goals. Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
- Inquisitive nature, seeking and accepting new experiences and challenging assignments to develop your capabilities. Eager to both provide insight to and receive feedback.