The successful candidate will act as a trusted point of contact for the Research management team, Analysts and Portfolio Managers in Asia Pacific and be responsible for research analytics, related applications and systems, particularly FIL's internal research platform.
Research Operations is part of the Investment Management Operations team at FIL. We are a cross-asset, global team that works closely with Equity and Fixed Income to support key business functions such as operational processes within research, as well as the delivery of strategic initiatives, including change and technology platform developments related to research.
Fidelity International has Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) regional research teams for equity based in Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, and Singapore, and fixed income in China and Hong Kong. The team provides investment recommendations to fund managers both locally and worldwide.
Purpose of your role
The successful candidate will act as a trusted point of contact for the Research management team, Analysts and Portfolio Managers in Asia Pacific and be responsible for research analytics, related applications and systems, particularly FIL's internal research platform. The Research Operations Manager will work closely with their global counterparts in liaising with the equity and fixed income research teams and systems groups in tracking and assisting application development, implementation and support. The Research Operations Manager would be expected to resolve functional issues, provide application support and system implementation and manage any systems upgrade or change management.
Be a trusted point of contact for the Research management team, Analyst & Portfolio Managers for:
- Fidelity's internal research platforms, including
- Research analytics: tracking performance and reporting
- Fidelity Insight: how to get the most out of it, customization/set up
- M&V (Modelling & Valuation): Oversee the structure and validation of Fidelity's internal model
Research Operations governance and support:
- Identify, drive and contribute to improving research operations
- Ensure consistent use / correct flow of data between M&V, Insight, and other research related platforms.
- Develop and prepare regular reports per the users' requirement - either ad hoc, weekly or monthly.
- Design, run and follow up on data validation reports
- Deal with 3rd party data providers (vendors/brokers)
- User training / new joiner on-boarding
- Work with Directors of Research / Directors, Equities / Heads of Research to implement changes to analysis/investment approach that need to be reflected in the systems
Work with Technology:
- Become the central go-to person within the equity and fixed income business for data requests, system enhancement requests, and technology deliverables.
- Outline and realise, through Technology, the functionality roadmap of business requirements
- Be close to the users so there is an awareness of all issues
- Facilitate requirement gathering process
- Specify new pre-canned reports
- Liaise with other team members and Technology on prioritization of requirements/bug fixes
- Test and sign off on any changes
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Statistics, Mathematics, Finance or Economics preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years of work experience preferably gained in the financial services/investment management industry. Experience in equity or fixed income investing/products/related support functions a big plus.
- Basic financial analysis skills eg financial statements/accounting literacy
- Hands-on experience in the design and development of reporting systems for internal users;
- Experience in gap analysis between tech solutions and business requirements and the ability to explain the gap to business users and liaise with global project team.
- Able to see clients' needs and idea and articulate and provide solutions, swiftly.
- Familiar with Research Data modelling process and information flow is an advantage
- Familiar with investment management, research and trading process;
- Experience of VBA and process-flow modelling systems is preferred;
- Logical, analytical, and yet creative and pragmatic quick learner
- Flexibility and willingness to take on new tasks is essential in what is an environment of rapid change
- Self- motivated, proactive and positive team-player