The Senior AML Controls Officer based in Hong Kong will support and oversee all AML, PEP and sanction screening related policies, systems, processes and operations across all business lines and APAC locations while manintaing a close partnership with location MLROs and Compliance functions.
Invesco is one of the world’s leading global investment managers, entrusted with managing $1.2 trillion* in assets on behalf of clients worldwide. We are the 6th largest US retail asset manager and the 13th largest investment manager globally, and our more than 8,000 employees worldwide are dedicated to delivering an investment experience that helps people get more out of life. We are purely focused on managing a comprehensive range of active, passive and alternative investment capabilities, which we draw on to provide customized solutions aligned to client needs, our most important benchmark. (*As of May 31,2019)
Job Purpose (Job Summary):
The Senior AML Controls Officer based in Hong Kong will support and oversee all AML, PEP and sanction screening related policies, systems, processes and operations across all business lines and APAC locations while maintaining a close partnership with location MLROs and Compliance functions.
The role is responsible for supporting Invesco’s APAC AML strategy and day-to-day operations ensuring strict adherence with the relevant AML regulation. The individual will have broad responsibility for designing and executing strategy, development, continuous improvement of processes and world class execution (within the location and coordinating the same across regional counter parts) that drives a robust experience (for our external clients and internal business partners).
This individual will work closely with Invesco’s client relations, client onboarding, technology, data and corporate functions (e.g., compliance and legal). The individual will be a collaborative professional working at the intersection of business, technology and corporate functions with the ability to deliver results by working together with global colleagues and teams.
Key Responsibilities / Duties:
- Designing, managing and overseeing efficient and effective systems and controls related to AML (which includes through this document PEP and sanction screening), ensuring compliance with Anti-Money Laundering and related regulations always.
- Ensuring update of such processes, policies and documentation considering new regulation, general Invesco projects and continuous improvement activities. Support projects to implement change
- Overseeing and supporting the identification, mitigation and management AML related risks; reporting and escalation of such risks as needed; mitigating AML improvements identified by internal and external auditors as well as compliance monitoring.
- Overseeing third parties handling outsourced AML activities for Invesco in APAC; implementing, managing and overseeing controls, policies & procedures and tests/ site visits to ensure adequate AML quality and adherence to Key Performance Indicators.
- Reviewing and oversight of incoming reports, data and MI from third parties.
- Performing AML remediation exercises where necessary
- Performing oversight of appointed distributors and intermediaries
- Supporting and overseeing completion of Business as usual (BAU) activities including ongoing transaction monitoring, management of Enhanced Due Diligence, High risk and PEP clients.
- Closely working with Compliance / MLROs across APAC on BAU and new AML requirements and assessing and communicating implications on and application to Invesco to staff and management.
- Ensuring delivery of appropriate AML related MI and reports to internal stakeholders, external authorities, Boards and Management as appropriate.
- Managing and supporting any internal audits, Compliance Monitoring and other reviews as required.
- Taking ownership of complex anti-money laundering matters and complex client cases, and providing advice and direction to the AML staff (where relevant), working with regional compliance and Distribution teams.
- Taking an active role in relevant industry forums and committees and collaborating with other AML experts to pre-empt and/ or address common challenges. To ensure best practice in our approach.
- Playing an active role as a senior leader within the APAC region, taking ownership for projects and business change, also wider than just AML related.
- Where relevant, be responsible for ensuring direct reports hold the required regulatory, operational and product knowledge to fulfil the roles and for identifying gaps/risks in knowledge/skills and resolving through adequate training, performance management, succession planning and recruitment.
- Ensuring all activities are in line with Invesco’s Conduct principles.
Work Experience / Knowledge:
- AML Expert
- Comprehensive understanding on what a great AML process looks like and how to manage this
- Good understanding of general asset management and oversight processes and linkage of AML to other functions
- Cognisant of and conversant with AML Legislation
- Good understanding of outsourcing AML/KYC oversight requirements
- Significant relevant experience of AML related responsibilities within the Financial Services industry, preferably in asset management, ideally from an audit or consultancy perspective
- Proven leadership & organizational skills
- Proven ability to operate at a strategic level and with detail as appropriate
- Experience of managing significant regulatory change in both a BAU and project environment, as well as evidence of relationship management required
Skills / Other Personal Attributes Required:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to properly influence others through discussion, collaboration and facts
- Ability to make fact based decisions and lead teams to the “best answer”
- Successful leader in a matrixed professional environment
- Attracts top talent (externally and internally)
- Team player, passion for collaboration
- Ability to conduct complex analysis and present data in a meaningful way
- Strong organizational skills and detail orientation
- Open minded, flexible, and willing to listen for other people’s opinions
Formal Education: (minimum requirement to perform job duties)
- Education to the degree level, or equivalent qualifications, Masters degree a plus
Invesco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with our personal data policy and for recruitment purposes only. Candidates not notified within twelve weeks may consider their application unsuccessful. All related information will be kept in our file for up to 2 years for future recruitment purposes. When there are vacancies in our subsidiary or associate companies during that period, we may transfer the application to them for consideration of employment. Under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, job applicants have a right to request access to, and to request correction of, Personal Data in relation to the application. If job applicants wish to exercise these rights, they should contact the Human Resources department.