- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Hong Kong
- 12 Jan 18
Senior Credit Manager, Commodity Risk
- Location: Hong Kong
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Commodity Risk * Assess, approve/add support for credit proposals from relevant CIB/CB teams. * Monitor credit quality of portfolio. * Maintain a balance between risks and rewards of the CTA portfolio. Corporate Finance Risk To undertake credit risk assessment for exposure in Leveraged Finance, Project & Export Finance, Shipping Finance and Aircraft Finance in Greater China & North Asia.
* Optimization of economic capital to create sustainable value in CIB/CB business by crafting and agreeing risk appetite that helps to achieve a desired risk profile from which we can secure relatively better returns than our competition over the longer term.
* Proactive management of the portfolio credit risk profile within agreed risk appetite. Reducing P&L volatility by running a largely "surprise free" and well managed CIB/CB book.
* Ensuring consistent application and enforcement of credit risk policies, processes and controls.
* Management of all stakeholders, including developing relationships with business partners, and balancing the role with stakeholder expectations.
* Strong support for the effective management of risk appetite and portfolio standards in partnership with business.
* Providing thought leadership from a governance perspective, including management of control and risk committees and ensuring quick transparent escalation of important issues.
I. Commodity Risk
* Assess and approve credit facilities based on credit authority as delegated within pre-agreed turnaround time; and to support for higher authority approval as needed.
* Ensure proper risk controls are applied for the CTA portfolio.
* Proactively recommend and implement credit control measures so as to mitigate risks on both portfolio and individual account basis.
* Partner with business unit to ensure factors influencing credit risk and the sensitivities of which are understood and implemented in deal structuring and ongoing facilities monitoring.
* Promote to business unit early loss mitigation opportunities and reporting process.
* Review and approve Early Alert processes as applicable towards individual accounts.
* Participate in credit calls jointly with Sales/RM as needed.
* Engage in various credit related projects as assigned from time to time.
* Effective implementation of Group credit policies/procedures/guidelines.
* Team up with business partners to ensure good credit quality and standards of professionalism of Credit.
* Manage risk in order to minimize provisions and bad debt.
II. Corporate Finance Risk
* Formulate risk appetites for the region in joint sponsorship with the business.
* Partnering with the business to deliver strategic aspirations whilst remaining within agreed risk appetite and optimising use of risk capital.
* Active involvement in Business strategy formulation within our risk appetite that encapsulate the agreed strategy.
* Identify, review and control risk profiles (eg. CG migration, risk concentration, RWA) to ensure that portfolio shape is in line with strategy.
* Refresh portfolio reviews for the global SF portfolio on a regular basis
* Understand sensitivities to key risk drivers and potential stress impact on the portfolio.
* Monitor external factors such as state of the economy, regulatory environment and other emerging risk trends.
* Ensure that the portfolio evolve appropriately to proactively manage changes in external environment, strategy and/or risk appetite.
* Oversee the monitoring and escalation of potential problem accounts eg. through the early alert process, MTM reviews.
* Provide guidance in managing up or out of accounts exhibiting signs of deterioration and assist Group Special Assets Management, where appropriate, to maximise recoveries.
* Assess potential portfolio / individual impairments and implement appropriate portfolio or account strategies to minimise losses.
* Ensuring specific and general stress tests are being conducted periodically, in accordance with the assertions made within Group / Country ICAAP documents, including understanding the RWA impact of credit grade migration and the potential constraints this will place on new business.
* Approve BCAs under own personal discretion.
* Regularly review audit reports / business risk reviews / KCSAs and identify key regional trends.
* Ensure Corporate Finance risk function is in compliance with the ORMA framework including the effective application of risk toolkit (self-assessments, KRIs, KCSAs, etc) and reporting.
Process Control and Policy Management
* Drive a consistent regional interpretation and application of global credit policies, and ensure that processes are in place for Senior Credit Managers to monitor adherence.
* Ensure country processes across the region are consistently implemented in accordance with global standards, taking into consideration local requirements and constraints.
* Actively engage all stakeholders (eg. Business partners, Finance, Legal and Compliance) to raise their awareness of credit issues and how these are managed by the Credit Risk function.
* Ensure that Credit Risk decisions are transparent and supporting rationales are explained in a professional and courteous manner, especially when turning down proposals.
* To work with Country Senior Credit Officer in actively managing regulators - take the lead to understand and shape their expectations.
* Be aware of major decisions by other stakeholders and assess the potential impact on Credit.