Senior Director, Operations Controls Governance Lead
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations. Job Description
The Asia Operations Control Governance Lead drives the effective implementation of Manulife Operations Controls Governance program across the region. It is a senior leadership role within the Asia Information Technology and Operations Controls Governance (AITOCG) function.
The function sits within Manulife's line 1b of defense - where we align with leadership to set the risk culture, support IT and Ops in identifying and mitigating risks at scale, and provide a common view and narrative of key risks to enable business discussions. We help business units to ensure uninterrupted BAU on a day-to-day basis by effectively managing their information and operational risks. To achieve this, we need to ensure success in maintaining internal controls and liaison with Manulife's line 2nd Line of Defense that owns Manulife control policies and standards.
The goal of this position is to help define and drive the operations control governance program across the region. This will involve deploying global risk and controls programs in Asia (e.g. RCSA), managing regional initiatives (Asia QA program, initiatives to address regional systemic issues) and working with the countries on activities that will address their specific needs (e.g. country specific control gaps). Responsibilities:
Key Leadership Behaviors:
- Lead regional operations control program. Establish strategies, approaches and governance mechanisms that will lead to enhanced control environments across operations;
- Deploy and operate the operations controls governance target operating model;
- Develop and nurture internal community of operations controls professionals;
- Lead the deployment of globally aligned risk assessment frameworks;
- Establish and drive regional control enhancement initiatives. Initiatives driven at the regional level should help maximize synergies, ensure regional consistency and, in general, improve outcomes;
- Work with country stakeholders to ensure global and regional initiatives meet country specific requirements; and establish country specific initiatives as needed;
- Promote risk awareness and best-practices, including the use of Manulife's GRC tool (i.e. Archer);
- Lead the operations components of the anti-fraud program.
Experiences and Qualifications:
- Uncompromising on integrity, in-line with principles and values and Code of Ethics;
- Trusted business partner, with pragmatic approach to risk management;
- Curious, able to identify areas where deep dives are needed, detailed orientated;
- Challenges the status quo and looks for ways to enhance processes and tools.
Core Competencies and Skills:
- University graduate with minimum 10 years solid experience in operations and controls;
- Hands on experience in operations, preferably in Insurance, is a plus;
- Experience managing complex regional program, in operations and/or controls;
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock. About Manulife
- Ability to take high level guidance and translate into concrete plans and activities;
- Strong stakeholder management skills; able to effectively articulate risks and need for action through strong verbal and written communication;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to influence senior leaders and inspire and train more junior team members;
- Deep understanding of operations and how risks can impact the business;
- Self-driven, able to meet objectives with a minimal amount of managerial oversight;
- Can distil complex issues into simple reports, solutions, and designs;
- Proficient in English, both verbal and written, proficiency in other Asian language is a plus.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of June 30, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$877 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.