(Senior) Director, Product Development
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- Manulife Hong Kong
- 22 Jun 18 2018-06-22
(Senior) Director, Product Development
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The purpose of this role is to ensure that Manulife Asset Management Asia (MAM Asia) has the best possible suite of products/strategies available to clients in each target market (and globally) by being "forward thinking" and proactive in their product development approach, across the business channels and asset classes.
Reporting to the MD, Regional Head of Product Development, Asia, the candidate is responsible for the product development process which will include the definition and delivery of all new products. The candidate will leverage their expertise in product development and management to help define and execute against Manulife Asset Management Asia's overall strategic plan.
- To understand the positioning of new and existing product in a competitive context through the use of appropriate product analyses, leading to the delivery of value added product to our clients.
- To understand the product needs of different channels and to champion those needs across the business.
- Assist businesses in the development of product strategies and the maintenance of the product pipeline for the region.
- Actively engage members of the investment team, asset management, wealth management team and other areas to formulate product ideas.
- Have a clear understanding of the sales priorities and medium term strategies of key intermediary distributors and partnerships, assist sales in developing compelling product solutions that strengthen the relevance to the distributors business and enables us to win an above share of net flows from key distributors/ partnerships,
- Research alternative structures and develop platforms/structures to provide flexible and scalable solutions
- Monitor competitor launch activity in local markets and through cross border platforms to maintain an awareness of product trends.
- Keep abreast of key regulatory changes, understanding whether the changes provide an opportunity or a threat.
- Assist Regional Head of Product Development to ensure an effective and efficient Product Approval process.
- Provide guidance and advice on the product approval criteria to different business units and territories.
- Work with local businesses to ensure product proposals are in line with long term product strategies and a business case and long term product viability is fleshed out.
- Proactively work on enhancing the Product Approval process given the dynamic and growing product needs.
- React swiftly to address new opportunities with appropriate product solutions
- To help define and evolve funds, investment solution and/or capabilities.
- Coordinate with offices across the region to ensure the successful planning and execution of product launches.
- Contribute to the Fund Launch Project from product perspective
- Work with investment team, legal, marketing, tax, compliance and distribution to define the product features
- Perform post launch reviews to understand the successful factors or area to be improved.
- Evaluate existing products from product pricing, investment objectives, and product features perspective to look for ways to enhance product in a way that they remain current.
- Evaluate existing platform to identify product gaps and to propose funds for rationalization (e.g. if they remain sub scale or are not performing).
- To play a role in facilitating effective communication between MAMs key business stakeholders, support functions (local, regional and global) and the investment teams. The ability to work closely with investment professionals and maintain strong relationships with the business channels is critical
- To act as the main point of contact between the local businesses ensuring there is a constant two way stream of information.
- Language Skill: English, Mandarin (preferable but not mandatory), excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Minimum 7 years' experience in Investment /financial services, preferably with and intermediary distributor (bank, brokerage, insurance) or asset management company
- Must have expert knowledge in mutual funds, how asset management firms operate and demonstrate enthusiasm for investment products and markets,
- Team player and can co-ordinate and work with other departments
- Knowledge of distribution dynamics of Asia's wealth management markets
- Post graduate degree, CFA preferred
- Good relationships within the investment management industry
- Good negotiation skills
- Team player
Manulife Asset Management (MAM) is the asset management division of Manulife Financial Corporation. MAM's diversified group of companies and affiliates provides comprehensive asset management solutions for institutional investors, investment funds and individuals in key markets around the work. This investment expertise extends across a full range of asset classes including equities, fixed income, derivatives, and alternative investments such as oil & gas, real estates, timber, farmland, as well as asset allocation strategies. MAM has investment offices across multiple continents - Asia, North America and Europe. MAM has more than 100 years of experience managing portfolios for The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, John Hancock Life Insurance Company, and other major clients and is a leading global investment management group.