To act as the Senior Legal Counsel of the Company in relation to legal and company secretarial matters. To provide professional legal advice and support on all aspects to the business with the highest quality.
- Provide authoritative, consistent and practical legal interpretation and advice on all relevant legal matters to all levels of the Company with a focus on insurance law, general company and business law, intellectual property law and data privacy related areas etc.
- Provide highest quality works in drafting and reviewing of contractual documentation including but not limited to general commercial agreements, partnership and intermediary agreements, insurance policy provisions, marketing literatures, customers’ notifications on ILAS’ post-authorization matters, transaction and administrative forms/declaration.
- Advise business and operation units on legal implications of new projects and initiatives, propose viable actions/solutions in legal and compliance manners.
- Manage and oversee litigation matters in the Company and make appropriate advice to minimize legal risk exposures and actions against the Company.
- Develop effective, practical and consistent advices/solutions to complaints/problems posed by the business which involve novel and complex legal issues, often within tight deadlines, while minimizing legal risk exposure to the Company.
- Develop and maintain appropriate contacts with external parties e.g. external law firms, regulatory and legal enforcement bodies, and professional bodies. Review and provide comments on the advice given by external law firms.
- Participate in review of due diligence of intermediaries including brokerage companies and maintain records of the legal agreements signed by the Company.
- Supervise Board Secretary to ensure all company secretarial and corporate governance requirements are compliant with Companies Ordinance and Insurance Ordinance respectively and meeting the Company’s and the Group’s requirements.
- Work closely with and provide guidance to other team members to ensure the requirements of Companies Ordinance and Insurance Ordinance, investment linked scheme-related guidelines issued by the Insurance Authority and the Securities & Futures Commission are complied.
- Ensure the relevant internal legal and intellectual property policy of the Company is complied.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of historic, current and anticipated legislation, regulation and case law which affect the business and make appropriate interpretation in a prompt manner.
- Provide authoritative interpretation of consultative and other documents issued by legislative and regulatory bodies by analyzing impact on the Company’s business and preparing responses for issuance externally.
- Achieve all outputs with a strong awareness of cost controls and budgetary challenges.
- Develop and maintain appropriate briefings and guidance notes on applicable laws for issuance to all employees.
- Qualified solicitor admitted in Hong Kong, with PCLL qualification
- Minimum of 10 years PQE with relevant working experience in insurance companies
- Held similar position in an in-house environment
- Experience in negotiating and completing supplier and other third party commercial agreements
- Hands-on experience in drafting and reviewing of insurance policy provisions and commenting marketing literatures for insurance products
- Hands-on experience dealing with the Insurance Authority, the Securities & Futures Commission and legal enforcement bodies
- Well versed with licensing and regulatory framework in relation to Long Term Class A and C insurance products
- Associate member of HKICS is preferred with some company secretarial experience and sound knowledge in Companies Ordinance
- Able to assimilate and analyze information from a wide variety of sources
- Able to work across boundaries and make decisions independently
- Good analytical skills and judgment
- Recognize potential issues and resolve at source
- A team player, able to communicate legal issues clearly to the stakeholders
- Proficiency in MS applications including Chinese Word Processing
- Fluency in English, Cantonese and Mandarin
- Laws, regulations and standards
- Market and industry knowledge
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Acting with confidence
- Courageous decision making
- Stakeholder management
Reports To Role
Head of Compliance and Legal