Senior Legal Counsel - Global Legal
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- 11 Oct 17 2017-10-11
Some careers grow faster than others.
If you’re looking for further opportunities to develop your career, take the next step in fulfiling your potential right here at HSBC.
Global Legal plays an important role in protecting the Group’s reputation by helping to future-proof the organisation through robust legal risk and issue advisory. Responsible for providing comprehensive legal advice to senior management and all global businesses and functions, the team offers a diverse range of legal skills, jurisdictional experience and practice specialisms across all countries and territories in which our businesses operate.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our team as Senior Legal Counsel.
In this role, you will
- Provide advice and legal support on a variety of legal matters in the context of Private Wealth Solutions, a division of Global Private Banking including matters that may be complex or have potential for some impact.
- To be considered to be a trusted adviser to the Private Wealth Solutions business by ensuring that commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice is provided in a cost effective manner.
- Provide support and guidance to Private Wealth Solutions departments with regard to legal risks arising in jobholder's area of expertise
- Employ legal policies to ensure that the Group's exposure to global legal risks is managed appropriately within jobholder's areas of expertise
- Provide prompt, commercial, practical and sometimes complex and or specialized legal advice to Private Wealth Solutions departments.
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets.
- Be proactive in the provision of legal support and in advising the business promptly of material legal developments and their implications
- Ensure senior management is fully briefed on major issues arising in relevant business area and major legislative changes in area of expertise
- Input to the recommendations regarding selection of panel law firms and other appropriate external parties
To be successful in this role, you should meet the following requirements
- Qualified lawyer with extensive post qualification relevant experience.
- Knowledge and experience in trust and fiduciary law and practice is a must and the ability to handle trust disputes is preferred.
- A working knowledge of banking, corporate and securities law concepts and of the laws in the major jurisdictions in which Private Wealth Solutions operates will be a clear advantage.
- Unconsciously internalised value structure compatible with HSBC, honesty, integrity, dependable, open and connected and a strong sense of doing the right thing.
- Experienced and confident practitioner with the ability to lead at the table among senior managers within the business and risk stewards.
- Able to provide clear, commercial, risk mitigated advice to the business.
- Excellent communication and inter personal skills.
- Up to date knowledge of developments in the industry.
- Able to handle a diverse range of issues.
- Self-starter, independent with good organisational skills and ability to prioritise and triage.
- Stamina and ability to work under pressure and to compressed timescales.
- Lateral thinking and problem solving in an open and connected manner.
- People oriented, exhibit willingness to invest time in cultivating professional relationships and display the ability to adapt to dynamic changes in the business environment through lateral thinking and problem solving in an open and connected manner
- Experience in a Legal capacity, either in house or private practice
For further details and application information please visit our career site, search under reference number 00009V7O
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited