Financial Data Specialist
Job Description The individual should display strong understanding of accounting concepts and in depth knowledge of methodologies to ensure all processes are implemented efficiently and effective controls are in place for accurate, timely deliveries. Financial Data Specialist should be able to guide and mentor the junior members on the team. He/she will have a significant input to the ratings and research process by analysing financial statements and data provided by Issuers.
In addition, he/she will:
- Use accounting and finance knowledge and judgment to perform financial statement analysis, adjust reported data per relevant methodology requirements and review and analyse ratios.
- Responsible for reviewing and understanding financial, operational, socio and demographic metrics and other documents/statement related to public finance issuers (municipalities).
- Work directly with ratings and support analysts and senior stake-holders to explain the data, adjustments and other information needed by the rating team for ratings and research.
- Frequently liaise with analysts and accounting specialists in order to understand the application of accounting concepts on a particular entity.
- Create documentation and provide guidance to support analysts.
- Regularly interact with Moody's ratings analysts regarding financial, operational, socio and demographic data needed for analysis and publications.
- In addition to regular daily responsibilities, Financial Data Specialists will be responsible for identifying technological or non-technological solutions to standardize data and increase accuracy (i.e. standardization of adjustment templates). Support IT teams in requirements gathering and testing of new adjustments, accounts and ratio creations. Will also have the opportunity to work on new projects such as analytic reviews, methodology updates and implementation of process improvements.
- Act as a mentor for more junior members of the team, be open and approachable to FDAs, lead trainings and provide informal feedback to more junior members of the team.
- Support managers in the preparation and implementation of upcoming accounting principles or spreading changes and develop and implement new instructions.
- Oversee trackers to ensure that team members track errors and revisions with the information and level of detail needed to enable root cause analysis, training gap identification and transparent Key Performance Indicator (KPI) reporting. Also, communicate workaround solutions for known system issues.
The team is regularly provided with valuable training classes and interaction with Analysts as part of knowledge transfer and career growth.
The Financial Data Specialist position provides a unique opportunity to foster skills that are valuable to any future career in the financial services industry
- Post graduate degree required; specializations in Accounting, Finance, or Economics preferred
- 5-8 years of relevant work experience required
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products and particularly Excel, such as pivot tables, lookups, etc.
- Knowledge or prior experience in MS Access, SQL is a plus
- Knowledge or prior experience in analysing financial statements is required.
- Knowledge or prior experience in accounting is a plus.
- Candidate must have the ability to quickly transition as priorities change to meet demands.
- Strong organizational, communication (verbal & written) and interpersonal skills are required to work as a team and for daily interaction with Moody's Analysts.
- Strong knowledge or prior experience working with data. Knowledge or prior experience analysing financial statements.
- Individual must be organized, dependable, able to multi-task and manage priorities, display initiative, and have the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.