Head of Trading Tribe
The Head of Trading Tribe is responsible for leading the agile delivery teams who build and operate our risk, pricing and trading tools, 3rd party feeds and distribution platforms that drive our Sportsbook and Exchange products. This means motivating and inspiring teams of developers, architects and managers to continuously improve the quality and reliability of the product offered to customers, as well as the pace and efficiency with which they are delivered. It also means being the primary point of contact within Technology for stakeholders in Exchange & Sports Trading, Product Management and other commercial teams across Paddy Power Betfair. This role will require the leadership of cross program deliverables and as such will require travel to other locations including London, Porto and Cluj.
- Ensure the Trading Technology teams are constantly delivering high-quality, reliable features and applications while maintaining a focus on pace and efficiency
- Lead the transition of the Trading technology team to embed the #CustomerObsessed operating model and drive the achievement against prioritised Outcomes and Key Results
- Work with stakeholders in Exchange & Sports Trading to create and deliver a rolling product roadmap for the risk and trading function and ensure the focus is always on delivering the highest-value through appropriate use of technology
- Optimise operational procedures, development & delivery methodologies and team structure to align with the operating model.
- Defining and executing large scale programmes, ensuring adequate change management and risk management
- Driving high quality project and programme plans, detail work & resource planning, tracking, issue/risk management and business case management
- Take operational accountability for the Trading product set, ensuring high levels of uptime and rapid resolution of customer-facing issues, ensuring the right level of support to meet our business needs
- Manage and coordinate all the work demands within your product area, presenting a clear view of capacity and capabilities (skills) across the team
- Engage with colleagues inside and outside Technology to ensure cross-functional initiatives are delivered and dependencies are managed
- Building and maintaining effective relationships between third party providers, suppliers and partners that ensures Paddy Power Betfair's needs are met
- Manage a significant finance and people budget to optimise spend efficiency and identify ongoing synergy opportunities
- Attract and retain talent within the Trading Technology team, ensuring that high performers are continuously challenged and provided with new opportunities, and poor performers are managed up or out
- Outcome focussed: sets clear direction on the priority outcomes that will deliver the best experience for our customers, measures progress against those outcomes and adapts approach when necessary to ensure they are achieved.
- Customer Obsessed: Builds and maintains strong relationships with stakeholders; champions the needs of customers and the importance of exceeding expectations; builds and delivers solutions that exceed customer expectations; prioritises customer satisfaction and builds commitment in others to provide outstanding service. Experience defining and delivering Outcomes & Key Results would be beneficial.
- Openly Curious: Questions the status quo, encourages new and diverse ideas, challenges and is open to challenge, creates an environment where teams can innovate in pursuit of achieving Outcomes and Key Results
- Effective Communicator: Provides clarity on business goals; is effective in all types of communication; adjusts communication style to fit the audience; consistently communicates the mission, vision and values to inspire, energise and motivate others throughout PPB; ensures others understand how their efforts positively impact the bigger picture; creates an environment that encourages effective communication and the sharing of diverse perspectives
- Wins Together: Gains trust and support of others, generous with time, advice and knowledge; is able to establish and engage networks to get stuff done rather than depend on authority; seeks out opportunities to break down barriers and collaborate and partner across organisational boundaries
- Big Thinker: Constantly explores and analyses future scenarios and possibilities to help PPB respond to change and shape the future; drives self and others to pursue opportunities that will create sustainable value for PPB; contributes to the functional and the Paddy Power Betfair strategy, mapping and aligning efforts to strategic imperatives
- Commercially Savvy: Makes it their business to be aware and anticipate emerging external factors and changing market dynamics; constantly explores and analyses future scenarios and possibilities to help PPB respond to change and shape the future; has deep understanding of business drivers and the industry to guide decisions and lead others
- Quality Decision Maker: Makes quality, long and short-term decisions at pace considering various inputs and through collaborating effectively; provides tools to empower teams to make decisions; regularly practices and encourages cross-functional problem solving and decision making
- Talent Focused: Demonstrates a strong commitment to the development of talent at PPB; recommends and supports development activities in preparation for future roles; invests time to coach and mentor others; builds and proactively manages development to ensure a pipeline of talent is in place; identifies and takes proactive steps to resolve current and future gaps in PPB's talent pool and succession plan; is a talent magnet, capable of identifying, attracting, selecting and developing top talent including and not shying away from talent that goes beyond their own capabilities; finds and attracts diverse talent who have the critical capabilities needed by the organisation; works to create an organisation that is an attractive place to work
- Resilient: Creates a climate where people are curious, resilient, determined, learn and adapt; handles and manages crises effectively; anticipates and shows the way forward during setbacks; builds energy in others to stick with it/to stay on track/push through
- Nimble: Is energised by new and unfamiliar situations and quickly adapts; advocates active experimentation and encourages others to be agile in their approach; is adaptable and flexible when developing others encouraging them to learn quickly when faced with new situations and be open to new ideas and ways of working; proactively shares lessons learned across the organisation
Strong Technologist with all-round experience of developing enterprise solutions across the full-stack.
Able to demonstrate experience with the quality development of high volume, high throughput real-time systems. Experience within Gambling or High-frequency trading would be advantageous. Strong experience of software delivery within fast paced, dynamic environments essential. Hands on knowledge of working with multi-functional teams to deliver great results.
Adept at working with a variety of development methodologies and able to understand and apply Enterprise and Solution Architectural principles to build innovative and ground-breaking solutions. Able to effectively assess technical solutions, understand total cost of ownership and able to advise on most appropriate approaches to support future development.
Able to demonstrate practical experience of successful software delivery using a variety of development languages (including but not limited to JAVA, SCALA, .NET), associated tooling and frameworks. Able to work with a variety of database and messaging technologies (e.g. Rabbit, Kafka) and understand how these build into enterprise wide systems. Comfortable with utilising and leveraging a mixed technology portfolio to deliver best in class full-stack solutions.
Knowledge of key touchpoints with infrastructure, experience of working with both on-premise, Public & Private Cloud technologies. Approaches to performance tuning and optimisation desirable.
Practical knowledge of Continuous integration and other Agile tooling. Experience with deployment of automated & performance testing to ensure highest quality standards. (GC)