LaSalle Investment Management (“LaSalle”) is a global real estate investment manager with USD66 billion of private and public real estate assets under management and nearly 750 people in 17 countries worldwide. This is a great opportunity for a motivated and ambitious professional to work directly with the Head of Legal and Compliance Japan in a demanding business environment with exposure to a wide variety of legal and compliance issues.
Position: Compliance Officer (Tokyo)
LaSalle Investment Management (“LaSalle”) is a global real estate investment manager with USD66 billion of private and public real estate assets under management and nearly 750 people in 17 countries worldwide. Our diverse investor base includes public and private pension funds, insurance companies, governments, endowments and high net worth investors from across the globe. LaSalle sponsors private separate accounts, private open and closed-end commingled funds, and public real estate securities programs. As a wholly-owned member of the Jones Lang LaSalle group, LaSalle's investment teams also draw on the intelligence and resources of our parent company, giving us unique access to market opportunities and key industry leaders.
A great opportunity for a motivated and ambitious professional to work directly with the Head of Legal and Compliance Japan in a demanding business environment with exposure to a wide variety of legal and compliance issues.
- Monitor the Japanese regulatory environment and licensing requirements, report to the General Counsel of Japan on regulatory issues/concerns requiring the firm’s attention, and provide practical support on the proper application and interpretation of regulatory principles, rules and guidance.
- Review and implement LaSalle policies, procedures and guidelines to reflect changes in the regulatory requirement or environment, and monitor compliance with those policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Plan and implement annual Compliance Program and Internal Audit.
- Provide support in relation to risk management frameworks and implement appropriate risk mitigation measures.
- Manage client onboarding procedures and AML/KYC procedures, including liaising with various business teams in Tokyo as well as Legal & Compliance team in the Singapore office from time to time.
- Attend to regulatory filings and respond to questionnaires/inquiries from the regulator or the self-regulatory body.
- Attend to Takken related matters (e.g. regulatory report on changes, maintenance of employee list, registration support).
- Provide compliance/ethics training to employees.
- Review marketing materials from a compliance perspective.
- Assist with governance work (e.g. board meetings, shareholder meetings etc.).
- Assist with routine fund and corporate legal matters in Japan including review of confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, and other standardized legal agreements.
- Administrative matters in relation to the above as necessary.
Required Experience, Qualifications Competencies
- 5 - 8 years’ relevant experience in an in-house compliance position in a real estate investment firm or financial institution.
- Fluency in Japanese and English is essential.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills. Ability to provide practical and pragmatic compliance advice in a timely manner.
- Flexible approach and highly motivated to learn new skills and develop experience. Ability to conceptualise and articulate pragmatic compliance solutions to complex regulatory challenges.
- Knowledge of AML/KYC, experience in KYC procedures and ability to identify/understand KYC subjects in order to make a risk assessment from an AML/KYC regulatory perspective.
- Team player with ability to cooperate with people across functions and within the region.
- Client focused, confident and high level of integrity.