Equity Research Analyst - Tokyo
- Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
- Permanent, Full time
- Fidelity International
- 31 Jan 18 2018-01-31
Our Research Analyst works as part of our regional research team in Asia Pacific, assuming analytical responsibility for sector coverage and providing investment recommendations to our Portfolio Managers both locally and worldwide. Analysts may rotate between different sectors and/or countries every 2-3 years. This provides a diversified experience in different sectors and allows for a more all rounded investment profession. This will be based in Tokyo but the role will be required to work closely with analysts/associates in other locations.
About Research Department
Fidelity International has an Asia Pacific regional research team based in Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Korea, Japan and India. The team provides investment recommendations to fund managers both locally and worldwide.
Equity Research Associates/Analysts are organised into seven broad industry groupings and cover the regions on a sector-by-sector basis. Their role is to carry out detailed research on each company (within their designated sector) from reviewing assets and cash flow to evaluating the management and assessing the environment in which the company is trading. We call this the "bottom-up" approach to stock picking.
The outcome of their research will allow the Associate/Analyst to make a buy or sell recommendation to the Portfolio Manager, who will ultimately make the Investment decision, based on a combination of the following; Associate/Analyst's research, their own research, third party research and discussions with colleagues.
Purpose of your role
Our Research Analyst works as part of our regional research team in Asia Pacific, assuming analytical responsibility for sector coverage and providing investment recommendations to our Portfolio Managers both locally and worldwide. Analysts may rotate between different sectors and/or countries every 2-3 years. This provides a diversified experience in different sectors and allows for a more all rounded investment profession. Although the position will be based in Tokyo, the role will be required to work closely with analysts/associates in other locations.
- Take responsibility for the analysis of a list of stocks allocated by the Director of Research; typically such a list will comprise 25-30 names
- Ramp coverage on those names within a time period agreed with the Director of Research; typically within 12 months
- Use all sources available to formulate a view on the stocks under your assigned coverage. This would include sources within the company as well as other industry sources such as competitors and customers, and external sources such as sell-side brokers and third-party research providers.
- Maintain a current rating on each stock on the assigned coverage list. Ratings go from 1 (strong buy) to 5 (strong sell).
- Publish regular reports on assigned stocks;
- Communicate your views to PMs via written reports, voice mails, emails, and face to face meetings.
- Host company meetings on companies on your list for PMs when appropriate.
- Provide an industry update annually on the industries under your assigned coverage.
- Maintain a notional paper portfolio comprised of the stocks on your assigned coverage list.
- Assist with mentoring colleagues and maintaining general corporate morale and direction as required by Director of Research.
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Undergraduate degree. MBA qualification is highly desirable
- At least 7 to 8 years of relevant experience in the financial industries
- Excellent financial analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication capabilities
- Fluent spoken and written Japanese and English
- Highly motivated, able to think logically, critically & quickly
- Able to work both independently and as part of a Research/Investment team
- Avidly interested and have a passion for the stock market and has demonstrated this interest through either previous work or personal investment.
- Must have a valid visa to work in Japan