Head of Credit Policy & Portfolio Risk
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
- Proactive management of the Secured Lending & BC portfolio to be within acceptable and agreed risk appetite.
- Development, management and implementation of credit policies and risk management strategies for effective portfolio management.
- Implementation of local and group risk policies, strategies, processes and controls.
- Development and management of portfolio MIS for informed decision making and effective portfolio management.
- Meet LI budget and benchmarks.
- Ensure compliance to regulatory changes.
- Management of all stakeholders, including developing partnership relationship with business partners, regulators, Group and balancing the role with stakeholder expectations.
- Support good business growth.
The Role Responsibilities
- Provide direction, guidance and motivation for Secured Lending and BC Risk team.
- Develop bench strength to allow for development of each member of the team.
Secured Lending & BC Acquisition and Portfolio Management
Portfolio MIS & Analysis
- Development, management and implementation of credit policies and risk management strategies to achieve quality bookings and effective portfolio management.
- Assess potential portfolio / individual impairments and work in partnership with Collections to implement appropriate strategies for minimizing losses.
- Facilitate strategic initiatives via CRD to explore new opportunities.
- Periodic review of the entire portfolio for optimal decision making.
- Continuous tracking of portfolio performance against budget to ensure appropriate collections action are taken as required.
Process and CI
- Drive and enhance MIS and analytics to facilitate effective monitoring and pre-emptive portfolio management.
- Conduct in-depth portfolio analysis on business issues identified.
- Drive cost effectiveness and automation of credit processes.
Governance, Policy and Process Management and Control
- Provide guidance to Credit Approval Managers in credit evaluation.
- Work closely with Credit Approval team to track deviations for approvals and monitor breaches in the product programmes by highlighting issues so that corrective/preventive action can be taken.
- Review & provide feedback to ensure practicality & feasibility for the implementation of robust credit policies.
People and Talent
- Strict compliance to Group Standards, regulations and controls set by the Bank and regulators.
- Ensure triggers and thresholds per local regulations, group policies, CCPM and CADs are adequately monitored.
- Readiness for internal and external audits.
- Employ, engage and retain high caliber staff.
- Ensure effective succession planning for key positions in the Secured Lending and BC Risk function.
- Ensure provision of ongoing training and development for members of the department aligned to the potential career path and development plan.
- Practice active and engaged performance management - clear definition of goals and objectives and measurement of performance.
- Establish and maintain high level of staff engagement.
- Actively engage all stakeholders (e.g. Business partners, Finance, Legal and Compliance) to raise awareness of credit issues.
- Ensure Credit Risk decisions are transparent and supporting rationales are explained in a professional and courteous manner, especially when turning down proposals.
- Actively manage regulators. Take the lead to understand and shape their expectations.
- Be aware of major decisions by other stakeholders and assess the potential risk impact on credit and portfolio.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .