- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur MY
- Permanent, Full time
- HSBC Bank (M) Berhad
- 18 Jul 18 2018-07-18
Some careers prize diversity more than others.
Representing the largest global Islamic financial services team of any international bank, HSBC Amanah provides a full suite of innovative Islamic products and services to retail and corporate customers around the world. Complementing HSBC's comprehensive range of global banking and financing solutions, HSBC Amanah leverages the Group's international experience and expertise in Islamic finance to best serve the growing demand for this viable alternative to conventional financing in Malaysia.
Offering a diverse range of legal skills and jurisdictional experience across the full range of countries and territories in which our businesses operate. Group Legal plays an important role in the day-to-day and long-term planning activities of all of our businesses around the world. Responsible for providing comprehensive legal advice to senior management and all Group functions, the team advises on and takes an active involvement in all business and operational strategies and initiatives, from legislative and regulatory matters to the setting of policies, standards and procedures for guarding against and reporting on legal risk and reputational management issues.
We are currently seeking an experienced professional to join this team in the role of Legal Counsel.
· Provide counsel and legal support on a variety of legal matters, or in a specialist area including matters that may be complex or may have some impact;
· To be considered to be a trusted adviser to the Amanah business and CRE, with a particular focus on CRE, CMB, GLCM & GTRF and such other departments and Group Companies assigned from time to time by ensuring that commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice is provided in a cost-effective manner for assigned areas.
· Provide prompt, commercial, practical legal advice to assigned areas;
· Be proactive in the provision of legal support and in advising the business promptly of material legal developments and their implications;
· Ensure legal management is fully briefed on major issues arising in relevant business area and major legislative changes in area of expertise
· Liaise with panel law firms and other appropriate external parties
· Maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships with all team members within the department, and business departments for which the jobholder is responsible
· Provide legal services in a cost-effective manner
· Manage the approach to legal risk in the department and business departments for which the jobholder is responsible, to ensure that the interests of the HSBC Group are adequately protected
· Awareness of the operational risk scenario associated with the role and to ensure that all actions during employment with HSBC take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring
· Leadership over all regulatory and compliance matters and the management of operational risk
· Qualified Lawyer
· Minimum 10 years of related working experience, preferably with in-house experience and preferably in an international organization.
· Wide knowledge and experience of banking, corporate and securities law concepts and a working knowledge of the laws in the major jurisdictions in which HSBC operates;
· In-depth experience advising on Amanah businesses and products essential
· In-house legal experience an advantage
· Management experience an advantage
· Knowledge of the HSBC Group corporate structures, its business and personnel and a clear understanding of HSBC's corporate culture and values;
· Ability to prioritise;
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Good inter-personal skills and ability to build relationships across the business and within the Global legal function;
· Ability to influence