Senior Asst Company Secretary
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur MY
- Permanent, Full time
- HSBC Bank (M) Berhad
- 26 May 18 2018-05-26
Senior Asst Company Secretary
Some careers open more doors than others.
If you're looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Regulators globally are expecting much higher Compliance and Anti-Money Laundering (AML) / Counter Terrorist Financing (CTF) standards from financial institutions and have adopted zero tolerance towards regulatory breaches. The scope and depth of the Compliance function in HSBC have grown in line with the business growth at HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad, HSBC Amanah and Group entities; and increasing range of new products and services. Compliance ensures robustness of the compliance framework in line with the new local and Group requirements, drives enhancement of procedures and processes and provides on-going compliance support to the business units and Group entities. At the same time, the regulators have also imposed higher corporate governance levels and this includes more onerous responsibilities on the Board of Directors. This results in heavier responsibility on the Company Secretarial function to ensure that the required corporate governance levels are maintained at all times and to provide sufficient support and guidance to the Board.
We are currently seeking an experienced professional to join this team in the role of Senior Assistant Company Secretary.
To assist the Company Secretary in the discharge of company and regulatory requirements; contribute to the effective and sound corporate governance of HBMY, HBMS and INMY through provision of support, assistance and advice to the Board of Directors, the Board Committees and the senior management; and ensure effective corporate governance standards and practices.
- To support the Company Secretary, Malaysia, in managing the Company Secretarial function.
- To advise the Boards of Directors of companies of which he/she is Secretary, through the respective Chairman and, where appropriate, Chief Executive, on all corporate governance matters and provide direct support to the Board, Non-Executive Directors, its Committees and senior management.
- To contribute to the achievement of the objectives of the Region by ensuring that effective Company Secretarial support and advice is provided to all Group companies of which he/she is Secretary through an appropriate and consistent corporate governance framework.
- To understand and act upon changes in legislation and regulation within Malaysia, with particular regard to the continuing obligations of HSBC Holdings plc.
- To contribute to the development of strategic and operational objectives of the Global Company Secretarial function through the Company Secretary, Malaysia.
- To contribute to the development of the Global Secretary Function strategies including development of Risk Management Framework and SCY FIMs.
- Providing support in the implementation of corporate actions, such as acquisitions, disposals, formations and liquidations of companies, restructuring of Group companies and investments (including overseas interests), injection of share capital and loan capital and payment of dividends.
- Maintaining and developing positive relationships with colleagues in other departments such as Finance, Legal, Compliance, Group Management Office (GMO) and those within the businesses being supported.
- Maintaining and developing positive relationships with other external advisers/suppliers within Malaysia;
- Monitoring the effectiveness and appropriateness of the corporate governance framework of companies of which he/she provides secretarial support.
- Helping the Company Secretary to reduce the costs and expenses of the department.
- Considering how to re-engineer existing processes to deliver efficiencies within the Department.
- Continually reassessing the operational risks inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Undertaking ad hoc projects as and when required.
Requirements, Skillsets and Competencies
- Qualified company secretary or lawyer;
- A good working knowledge of the internal and external compliance activities of HBMY, HBMS and INMY;
- A thorough understanding of the statutory and regulatory requirements as well as internal policies on corporate governance;
- To work independently with sound analytical thinking and organizational abilities to ensure an efficient and practical information management;
- To help anticipate and identify any corporate governance issues with appropriate recommendations;
- The jobholder needs to have sound planning and managerial skills, so as to be able to provide direction and guidance to direct reports and to assist the Company Secretary in the effective planning of the Company Secretarial function;
- To be able to maintain good relationships Strong inter-personal skills are vital;
- To promote a user-friendly company secretarial culture;
- Both proficient written and communication skills are essential.