Senior Manager, Financial Markets, Trade Surveillance
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur MY
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Global Business Services Sdn Bhd
- 19 Mar 18 2018-03-19
Financial Markets, Trade Surveillance : Surveillance, Conduct & Monitoring
- Help the Group meet its commitment of being “Here for Good” by building a sustainable compliance framework that places regulatory and compliance best practice standards, and a culture of appropriate conduct at the forefront of the Group’s agenda.
- As an independent second line risk control function, execute the relevant aspects of the Compliance framework through robust independent risk control and the provision of specialist advice and constructive challenge in a manner proportionate to the nature, scale and complexity of the Group’s business.
- Proactively support and challenge the Group’s businesses and functions to exhibit appropriate conduct, comply with regulatory and compliance requirements and strive to achieve fair outcome for the Group’s clients.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Group’s compliance efforts.
- Support the management of the regulatory relationships with each of the regulators, whose rules the Group is subjected to.
- Leadership and functional responsibility for all members of the Compliance, Financial Markets, Trade Surveillance, GBS KL team.
- Maintain constructive and effective relationships with Business Heads / Business Chief Operating Officers (“COOs”), and assist relevant Compliance heads to interface with and support all key business stakeholders.
- Insofar as they relate to regulatory compliance, be responsible for providing details of developments giving rise to a material risk that serious regulatory breaches or breaches of risk tolerances (as agreed by the Board from time to time) may occur and notifying any such breaches to Head, Compliance, Financial Markets, Trade Surveillance
- Maintain independence, deliver timely responses, and timely escalation of risks and issues where they feel risk management tolerance of the firm are exceeded.
- Support and implement the vision, strategy, direction and leadership for Compliance, Financial Markets, Trade Surveillance, GBS team, consistent with Global Head, Compliance, Business and Functions Adv (“Global Head”) vision and strategy for the Compliance function and in support of the Bank’s strategic direction and growth aspirations.
- Promote the culture and practice of compliance with compliance standards (including conducting business within regulatory requirements, and to high ethical standards) within the Bank and embed a Here for Good culture and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Build and maintain an effective and constructive relationship with all key business and functional stakeholders that is based on trust, capability and integrity, providing timely, responsive and quality regulatory compliance advice and guidance to enable the business and functions to meet/ achieve their strategic tactical objectives.
- Provide supervision, advice, analysis (and challenge when appropriate) and direction in relation to monitoring of market abuse and insider trading related behaviours for orders and trades done in various countries reference the relevant market abuse related regulation.
- Provide robust challenge to senior management and all relevant business stakeholders where activities are outside risk tolerance / appetite, escalating as necessary, until appropriate oversight and ownership is achieved including actions and plans to address any remedial action needed to come back within risk tolerance / appetite.
- Work closely with the business to provide timely regulatory compliance advice to ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations and support the transition to pro-active and pre-emptive compliance and conduct risk mitigation.
- Regular and diarised catch ups with all key business stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain effective processes (including training, advice and support) to ensure that policies, procedures and standards to address compliance risks (especially with respect to market abuse and insider trading) are effectively implemented and adhered to across areas where Trade Surveillance monitors.
- Provide support and challenge to Trade Surveillance’s senior management to ensure that they establish and monitor appropriate processes for compliance with compliance policies, procedures and standards (including meeting regulatory obligations and maintaining high standards of conduct).
People and Talent
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Ensure that the team is adequately trained with knowledge on market abuse monitoring and analysis.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are competent, suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people, with succession planning for critical roles.
- Responsibility to review team structure/capacity plans.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct and indirect reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Regularly and on a timely basis appraise performance as well as proactively manage attrition when needed.
- Ensure regular and documented management meetings with direct reports.
- Assess competency and skill of the team on an ongoing basis to ensure alignment of skill set to the risk management demands of the business.
- Ensure teams are adequately resourced and capacitised.
- In collaboration with relevant senior managers, support a programme for compliance monitoring, surveillance and assurance.
- Ensure effective management of compliance matters, and in collaboration with the rest of the Compliance team, effectively manage regulatory issues that have a significant impact on the Bank.
- In the event of serious regulatory breaches, or where risk tolerances have been breached, ensure senior management in the Bank and relevant regulators are informed and that actions are taken quickly to remediate and/or activities are ceased. Ensure proactive and timely identification, assessment, advice and dissemination of evolving regulatory changes/practices and associated risks, and proactive engagement in regulatory reform. Assist and work closely with Shared Investigative Services (SIS) in relation to investigations concerning Surveillance’s scope of monitoring.
- Provide reports to relevant risk and control committees and management group on key compliance risks and issues.
- Maintain adequate management MI / trackers across all aspects of their coverage and responsibility to ensure all issues and matters are tracked, followed, regularly assessed and reported on.
- Within the Group's overall Risk Management Framework, establish and maintain appropriate risk based compliance frameworks for identifying, assessing, managing, monitoring, mitigating and reporting compliance (including regulatory and financial crime) risks across SCB.
- Develop and recommend (for approval by the relevant Risk Committee), appropriate compliance policies and procedures.
Regulatory & Business conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the CIB & CB Compliance teams to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Operation of Financial Markets, Financial Crime Prevention; Creating the Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.