Software Developer - Payments
- Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands Amsterdam Noord-Holland NL
- Permanent, Full time
- Booking.com BV
- 15 Jun 18 2018-06-15
Within our payments organization we want to make online payments for our customers and accommodation partners to be like breathing: you have to do it but never think about it. Our Technology Department is more than 100 teams of four to six people each. We operate on a scrum-based agile development methodology, we are data-driven and do extensive A/B testing. We deploy code multiple times per day on tens of thousands of servers across multiple data centers around the world, we have freedom, end-to-end access, and authority to make meaningful and measurable improvements.
As a Software Developer in our Payment department, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our payments platform, as well as internal systems related to the platform. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance payments platform.
- Solving issues with the site and internal systems, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Most products are developed in Perl and Java
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- Minimum of 3 years software development experience using Java
- Experience with other languages like Perl, Go, Python, Scala, C++ etc is a plus
- 2+ years experience building consumer e-commerce or payments platforms at scale
- 2+ years of experience working in the Payments domain
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Hands on experience of developing in and contributing to open source data technologies, such as Hadoop
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Preferably a university degree in Mathematics or Software Engineering
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 26 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- Generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam