Who we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced engineering lead to work with our development teams to deliver high-quality software to the business. You will report to the Head of APAC Investment Technology & Head of Enterprise Software Engineering and you have to be proficient and up to date in your field with a good idea of how to design software for future supportability and extensibility.
As the Engineering Lead, your focus will be twofold. Primarily, you will spend time with investment delivery teams, guiding their design and implementation, spotting opportunities for improvement, sharing new ideas and best practices, and measuring the difference you make. You'll also be guiding and mentoring other engineers in your area, including setting technical objectives, and reviewing subsequent performance. Next, you will spend time working with Enterprise Software Engineering and other Engineering Leads, helping shape the software engineering culture at Schroders. You will contribute to standards, patterns, practices, reference architectures, shared components, and many other things that will improve the way we deliver software to the business.
You are a versatile engineer with ability to express your ideas clearly, without being too wedded to them. You will put collaboration at the heart of your approach to software development, inviting input widely and making sure all voices are heard. About Schroders
We are a global investment manager managing over £700 billion of clients' assets. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for their future.
We have around 5500 people on six continents. We have been around for over 200 years adapting as society and technology changes with an unwavering commitment to helping our clients and society, prosper. We take immense pride in our culture and our reputation of being an employer of choice. It is important to us that our people feel valued, included, and supported in their professional and personal growth.
By promoting flexible working, championing inclusion, and making health and wellbeing a priority, we have created the conditions for our people to thrive. The base
We are located at Capita Green, which is one of the greenest office buildings in the Singapore business district. It channels fresh air from the roof into the office floors. We operate across 2 levels on the 22nd and 23rd floors with rich facilities such as dining and pantry areas, rooms for nursing mums, quiet corners for focus work as well as collaborative spaces. We have shared workspaces with lockers for personal storage to maximize desk space. The team Investment Technology
is one of the most sought-after capabilities in Schroders Global Technology Team for hardcore engineering talents. APAC investment technology team
develops and supports applications used by regional/global front office business users (Fund Managers / Product Managers / Risk Managers / Fund Performance Managers and Compliance Managers). The team supports business users in 10 countries, 7 in APAC (Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Indonesia and Australia) and Luxembourg, UK and US. Investment Technology provides tooling, applications, and platforms to support the investment desks at Schroders. We are moving our technology estate to the cloud and re-architecting our technology stack in the process. Our new platform is a fully serverless, event-driven architecture with the front ends built in React, and Python for all backend services. Investment Technology aims to build a great engineering culture. Contributing to this culture will involve following good software craftmanship, TDD and writing clean code. Our systems must be well architected, tested, and easy to change. To achieve this goal, we implement mentoring and coaching through regular code reviews and pair programming. Team partners with Global teams in London in developing and maintaining APAC requirements in global platforms. The team also provides L3 Support to majority of Front office applications during APAC hours. Schroders Global Technology
has been on Safe Agile Framework. Each agile delivery team comprises of a scrum master/Delivery Lead, developers, business analysts and testers. Each team works with APAC RTE to implement continuous improvement in Agile practices, with DevOps and Capability Owner of the defined business domain to prioritize and deliver the backlog. The Engineering Lead will be required to interact across the delivery team, RTE, capability owners and solution architects.
Within APAC Investment Technology, there are currently 4 Agile teams supporting several business capabilities - Front office applications, Data Analytics, Visualisation, Data Engineering, interfacing with vendor supplied systems and Co Creation with Business users. The team aims to deliver robust, high-quality solutions to the business whilst ensuring a stable operating environment.
As an Engineering Lead, you will also form part of the broader Enterprise Software Engineering function within Enterprise Technology. This function exists to help us improve the way we provide business value through quality, predictable, and supportable software delivery. Enterprise Software Engineering also houses our DevOps toolchain team and our Quality Engineering team. What you'll do
The knowledge, experience, and qualifications you need
- Work on day-to-day software design and development with teams as needed
- Partner with the Delivery Lead to ensure the technology roadmap for the capability is appropriate and in line with the technical strategy
- Partner with the Delivery Lead to ensure the backlogs balance incremental delivery of value with appropriate technical quality
- Work closely with the Delivery Lead to propose and communicate technical solutions to the Capability Owner and the wider business
- Be accountable for ensuring delivery teams work to continuously improve how they develop applications to ensure they are easy to understand, maintain, verify, and extend
- Be accountable for ensuring that technical implementation debt is logged, tracked, and removed in a timely fashion
- Be accountable for ensuring all technical tool and platform choices are logged for all applications, and the technical inter-application dependencies are recorded and kept up to date
- Contribute technical objectives and provide regular feedback to the engineers in your area
- Be accountable for ensuring delivery teams engage with the Engineering Community
- Collaboratively define and prioritise the engineering standards, patterns, and best practices for GT teams globally
- Own and define engineering standards, patterns, and practices in your area
- Collaboratively define and prioritise shared components and reference architectures to increase reuse across the organisation
- Own, define and build shared components and reference architectures in your area
- Collaborate on thought leadership with other Engineering Leads, ensuring emerging technology trends are evaluated, adopted, and embedded as appropriate.
- Drive teams to 'shift-left' on testing to unlock rapid, safer, and continuous delivery
- Work closely with the Solution Architect to ensure that implementation, solution design, and technology roadmap are consistent and aligned.
- Help in the creation of training materials and frameworks, and share knowledge through forums and lunch-and-learns for developers
- Build relationships with developers, solutions architects, your domain management team, and the Head of Enterprise Software Engineering
- Help troubleshoot organisational problems that get in developers' way
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- Minimum 10 years of experience in software engineering designing and developing enterprise level applications / software products.
- Experience in systems used in the investment processes such as Investment Decision Support System, Equity Research Systems, Order Management or Execution systems, Portfolio Construction or Rebalancing tool, Data Management or Engineering systems.
- Experience working on cloud technologies or platforms such as AWS or MS Azure Cloud
- Demonstrate capability in solution design and patterns, proposing approaches/options and being able to communicate them across clearly
- Plenty of experience in the full lifecycle of developing software from ideation to implementation
- Experience in testing approaches and putting testability at the heart of software design and development
- Experience in Agile delivery experience such as discovering requirements and breaking those down into features and stories
- Experience of buy-vs-build decisions and the trade-offs between these options, and of vendor product technical due diligence
- Experience in developing relationships with stakeholders of all levels
- Ability to communicate how the teams' deliveries contribute to the strategy of the organization
- Ability to produce and communicate effective and insightful thought leadership on technical topics.
- Ability to lead and inspire the delivery teams with clear goals and achieve clear outcomes.
- Experience in object-oriented design thinking, understanding of SOLID principles, and knowledge of design patterns and practices
- Experience in designing distributed applications, including a deep understanding of the pros and cons of the myriad approaches
- Understanding of Domain Driven Design at both the business modelling level, and implementation levels.
What you are like
- Experience working in financial services, consulting or regulated industries
- Exposure to other newer technologies - Denodo, Snowflake is an additional advantage.
- Knowledge on financial instruments - Equities, Fixed income, FX Forwards, NDFs, OTC is preferred.
- Exposure to platforms such as Aladdin, FactSet, Refinitiv / Bloomberg is preferred.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
- Friendly, approachable, enjoying working with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Capable of remaining positive when under pressure
- Show initiative and thrive in a fast-paced and time-critical business environment
- Self-motivated and keen to improve engineering across Schroders
- Comfortable facilitating and communicating using both business and technology terms
- Able to keep a potentially diverse set of participants engaged
- Approachable coach and technical leader who takes time to understand others' views
- Collaborative and inclusive technical leader who seeks input widely and ensures everyone's views are heard
- Straightforward, honest and someone who can stand their ground without being confrontational
- Holds themselves responsible, demonstrates integrity and deals fairly with everyone
- Keen technologist who follows the latest trends, technology, and engineering approaches
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You are welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief, or age.