Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world's fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless ®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities. Job Title
This position is responsible for the overall effective tax planning and risk management of a portfolio of countries in the Asia Pacific region ("the sub-region"). The position will ensure that tax opportunities are optimized and tax risks well managed in a sub-region with different tax systems, levels of sophistication of the tax authorities and business environment.
Key Responsibilities are:
Stewardship & compliance: overall responsibility for tax provision and statutory compliance which includes the following key areas:
• ensuring a robust process is in place for partnering the Finance function in the timely completion of tax provisions and ensuring the provisions are adequate;
• working with the Finance function and external consultants for the timely completion and filing of tax returns and other compliance requirements where opportunities are optimized and tax risks areas are adequately addressed e.g. recommendation of a tax reserve to cover the amount at risk for a position taken in the tax return under both local and US GAAP;
• Responsible for tax accounting under US GAAP including tax provision and tax reserves (ASC 740 and ASC 740-10) for both interim and annual periods;
• Responsible for the preparation of the US tax return forms (primarily Forms 5471 and 8858) in relation to entities in the sub-region and possibly entities outside the sub-region;
• ensure adequate defense documentation is in place to support the positions taken in the tax return; and
• management of tax audits and development of strategies in closing the audits that is in the best interests of the Company.
• Be a business partner with business units and other functions to deliver solutions that are tax efficient and at the same time meet their business objectives. This includes the review and provision of tax input on potential/new business cases, contracts, policies and guidelines. Examples - where the standard tax terms and clauses are not acceptable by the other contracting party, help the business team to craft terms that will be a win-win for both parties; and proposing changes to contracts/structures of deals that will result in tax savings or minimize tax compliance requirements;
• Participate in due diligence work for M&A initiatives; and
• Where regulations are being introduced that have a tax impact, to represent the tax function and work with the business units and other functions to develop and ensure that tax considerations are adequately taken into account in formulating a business plan that will meet the requirements of the regulations.
Tax Planning: Work with the VP, Tax to develop and implement tax planning projects for the sub-region and be a major contributor in regional/global projects.
• Provide support to the VP, Tax in keeping the management and business partners abreast of tax developments that may have potential impact on their business objectives including conducting tax training as appropriate; and
• Independently and effectively manage relationship with internal business partners and external parties such as outside counsel and government agencies for the sub-region.
All About You
• Tax experience in public accounting and industry.
• Holds tertiary qualification, professional certification (CPA) preferred.
• Competent in Microsoft office software.
• Knowledge of US GAAP will be an advantage.
• Fast learner and ability to work independently.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Positive working attitude.
• Reliable and can be depended on to complete tasks on a timely basis.
• Ability to work well with others.
• Able to travel 15 to 20% of the time.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.