Head, Client Documentation,Centre of Excellence (COE)
- Singapore Singapore Singapore SG
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 13 Jun 18 2018-06-13
Leading the way in International Banking. We support the people and companies driving investment, trade and wealth creation across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. And our heritage and values are expressed in our brand promise - here for good. See our Brand and Values
We are currently looking for Head, Client Documentation, Centre of Excellence (COE).
To appoint, develop, support and lead a team of best in class transactional negotiators across selected markets in GB and CB. Delivering significant improvements in transactional execution and client experience, in terms of: cost efficiencies, TAT, productivity and process improvements. Balancing client alignment and risk mitigation controls and perspectives.
- To implement a [Legal / Transactional Centre of Excellence "COE"] in select markets across GB and CB. Delivering a scalable fit for purpose, client-focussed, best-in-class transactional execution model, which delivers value-add, whilst adhering to good governance and control standards.
- Evaluate activity inventories, capacity estimates (headcount / experience), process flows, R&R and appropriate resourcing. Identify immediate and long-term resourcing, training and development requirements.
- Advise on resourcing requirements for COE and other support functions as the IMO change program evolves to end-state.
- Deliver a globally-consistent, end-to-end best-in market transactional process model maintaining high standards, controls, and levels of conduct & valued behaviours. Identify key processes for further client alignment. Collaborate with Control Function to revise operating and organizational models and to objectively review standards and quality of support provided. Engage all the relevant impacted teams CRC, CSG, Legal etc and ensure the TCOE seamlessly integrates into the overall TOM of CIB and CB with minimal business disruptions.
- Ensure alignment between onshore and offshore teams in accordance with the overall onshore-offshore client delivery model.
- Reinforce synergy between countries, regions and hubs, through close communication and consistency of standards.
- Continuously work on the expansion and evolution of the scope of the COE by including more processes and business segments, geographies.
- Lead and be accountable for a responsive, autonomous and focussed COE team. Tenaciously support the GB and CB frontline, exceeding expectations, enabling the frontline to meet their respective sales and growth targets.
- Align the priorities of the COE with those of the business segments and countries and proactively participate and lead by example on high value / strategic matters.
- Personally lead the highest profile strategic negotiations, demonstrating seemless and effective integrated execution for client, setting strong foundations for repeat business / growing the relationship.
- Conduct daily escalation sessions to ensure ALL client negotiation impasses are effectively resolved with the appropriate stakeholders and report and remedy and needless impasses.
- Set and manage all relevant team budgets.
- Liaise with business teams on potential legal and regulatory changes, devising strategies to mitigate the same.
- * Establish a clear and uniform approach towards implementation of the global operating model for all COE related processes (CDD, Account Opening, Account Maintenance, S2B activation, Credit Documentation, MIS, and off-boarding), and adherence to DOIs
- * Optimise time-to-revenue and improve the frontline client experience, by: reducing the number of hand-offs and referrals by COE staff to business or Control Functions by formalising predetermined scenarios, circulating past precedents and empowering and up-skilling COE resources.
- * From a COE process and Client Lens perspective, review and identify opportunities to optimise people and processes and add value to client and the frontline making recommendations on: (a) Bank Templates (existing and new). By proposing simplification, plain English and architectural considerations to the Global Templates Management Team. (b) The decision-making User Guides and as the COE demonstrates increased competencies and experience, revisit and evolve the same. (c) Review, discuss and evolve with the appropriate legal, regulatory and compliance personnel, process interpretations and proposals ensuring an optimal and proportionate end-state solution.
- * Continuously improve productivity and efficiency of the COE by collating, reviewing and acting upon client / business feedback from monthly Service Review Meetings (SRM) between Business Teams & Hub or Country operating teams, to enhance and maintain the optimum transactional global operating model.
People and Talent
- Identify and appoint country / regional lawyers who demonstrate a genuine desire to be part of the dynamic and responsive team who possess and have demonstrated can-do, collaborative, solutions-orientated mindset.
- Devise and implement a structured training and development program for TCOE resources instilling the appropriate culture and values, embedding a high level of team engagement producing an autonomous and high-performance team, competent, confident and rounded best-in-class negotiators, to reduce the number of hand-offs / referrals to accelerate TAT. (a) Lead through example, providing practical on-the-job legal and commercial support on day-to-day transactional matters, demonstrating best practices, case studies and analysing and discussing lessons learned; (b) Drafting and implementing a structured training and development program comprising of Contract, Commercial and Company law, relevant legal principles and product and services provisions.
- Set the appropriate tone and expectations for team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners, global process teams, and regional business teams.
- Retain high quality people by offering career advancement opportunities, expanding roles, areas of knowledge and expertise and succession planning for critical roles and appropriate recognition and reward for high performance / potential.
- Ensure implementation and tracking of performance metrics into the P3of staff managed.
- Formulate and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Ensure team structure / capacity is reviewed to enable effective delivery of operations and change agendas
- Ensure implementation of the OR Framework across COE transactional processes.
- Collaborate with Regional and Country Legal, Compliance, Credit and Risk on strategic and complex policy/ risk issues and actively solicit COE views and provide feedback for policy gaps, practices provided in other jurisdictions and revisions required.
- Proactively manage risks and establish/ monitor controls to improve the overall state of the risk management and transactional operating framework
- Ensure the transactional operational controls meet risk tolerance thresholds and continually review the same to ensure the optimal tolerances.
- Manage remediation of the transactional operational controls, to ensure: policies, capability, process, and templates are brought up to and remain best in class.
- Provide insights and highlight risks/ mitigation to senior management, governance forums, and group teams based on understanding of country & regional dynamics and MIS & analytics
- Responsible for delivering effective governance for the COE, adhering to applicable internal policies and external laws and regulations.
- Ensure that the risks are clearly identified and quantified, properly tabled in the appropriate forums and appropriate RCPS are done.
- Lead and monitor strict adherence to regulatory requirements, best practices, and a state of ever-readiness for audit and regulatory reviews, with respect to COE responsibilities.
- Senior escalation point for stakeholders on process and governance related issues.
- Represent the COE function and act as an alternate to the IMO in the relevant governance forums.
- Delegated authorities passed on by Head IMO wherever required.
Regulatory & Business conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Valued Behaviours and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, for self and managed staff. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance within the letter and spirit of the Group Code of Conduct and all applicable laws and regulations.
- Leading the CEO team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identifying, escalating, mitigating and resolving risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Transactional lawyer with a proven global track-record of client execution across all banking products and services, Regions and countries.
- A very good understanding of the business - preferably on the job business experience in CIB
- Very good knowledge of the regions - preferably a on-the job experience in the regions
- Past experience as a Client, understanding and appreciating client's own operating model, expectations and mindsets
- Strong leadership skills - in Legal and transactional teams across multiple countries.
- Good communication skills - oral, written and presentation
- Good product knowledge including the processes and procedures
We are committed to building a culture that fosters a diverse and inclusive environment that's free from bias, where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution. This is just one of our values that is expressed in our brand promise - here for good. Apply Now...