Head Strategic Initiatives, Cash Ops PDC
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base. The Role Responsibilities
- Responsible for the design, implementation and commercialization of capabilities and solutions relating to Strategic Initiatives, in partnership with Operations and Cash Product teams, to enable seamless front to back, client focused delivery and product capabilities capable of scaling globally across CCIB and CPBB client segments.
- Responsible to establish a lean operational 'Global model' for new platforms, to build digitized processes with nil/minimal manual touchpoints and support drive for 'standardization' in processes across countries in partnership with Global Functional Heads, by defining system and platform requirements, security access matrices, operational controls and deployment testing strategies.
- Play the role of lead Product Owner in Product Design & Control (PDC), to optimize utilization of investment budgets (c. $20M) for strategic platforms, and lead product and process design, creating, maintaining and prioritizing product backlogs with an outcome to streamline processes, enhance productivity, reduce risk and improve controls; and where required collaborate and partner with other non-Cash functions to enable an end-to-end digital service and delivery model.
- Strategic initiatives will cover all types of transactional flows relating to Cash products, including but not limited to replacing legacy applications and systems and alignment of new platforms to global standards (e.g. ISO, Wolfsberg recommendations on Payment Transparency).
- Partner with the Cash Product teams to support the commercialization potential of initiatives and solutions with a focus on the operational processes, i.e. higher cash revenues, increased liability balances and improved fee income.
- Define and develop the strategic direction and roadmap for Strategic Initiatives, aligned with Business Strategy and investment appetite, ensuring the Client Journey achieves delivery of the product backlog in line with the business strategy.
- Support the Global Functional head(s) in ensuring the client experience is seamless based on efficient processing, timely resolution of client exceptions and is perceived as an enabler by the business to generate and retain client flows, by establishing a monitoring mechanism (e.g. metrics) for reporting.
- Clear understanding of operational capacity and headroom for future growth, by partnering closely with Global Functional heads.
- Ensure local/regional process requirements and nuances from countries are incorporated into solutions and capabilities.
- Support teams across the team to leverage the new Ways of Working to experiment, innovate and iterate to deliver best in class solutions as part of the Client Journey construct.
- Responsible for leading Strategic Initiative function on Strategy, Operating Model, Risk and Controls standards and compliance with regulations, and ensure business processes are aligned with the organization's strategic goals.
- Track market and business developments from peer banks and fintech industry.
- Collaborate with Product and Technology on technological innovation and futuristic digital opportunities, pre-empt disruptive forces and commercialise innovative use of available and new technologies.
- Lead initiatives to innovate and digitize processes as well as driving collaboration and best practice sharing across the network.
- Support the Global Functional heads on the overall budget for the function and the delivery of the Business Efficiency targets.
- Drive continual experimentation within the Client Journey to deliver outcomes that align to the strategy and product backlog.
- Partner with the Business, taking product programs from Client Journey investment decisions, into design, specification, and solution phases, securing support services from other teams. The term "Product" is used here in a generic sense to describe required capabilities. It includes capabilities that are needed to meet regulatory requirements as well as capabilities for supporting "internal clients".
People and Talent
- Responsible as an escalation point for operational or client issues into business and operations governance committee - identify remedial solutions and oversee timely, efficient implementation.
- Role model a strong, collaborative business relationship between Cash delivery teams across the global Strategic Initiatives function. Maintain strong lines of communication across our Cash footprint through an effective communication process.
- Regular review of business and performance metrics to ensure transparency to stakeholders and in line with the Client Journey plan.
- Lead and support a change in mindset, building a culture of client centricity, agility, and accountability through standardised metrics and measurement, with the expectation that everyone in Strategic Initiatives Product Design & Control team are drivers and owners of client outcomes.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations for the team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people such that the team is skilled and experienced to deliver its obligations. Ensure succession planning for critical roles.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development, ensure that direct reports are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles and that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Review team structure and capacity plans in accordance with change in business structure and demand.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness become apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and escalated through the relevant committees in line with the banks policies.
- Partner with the relevant Sustainability Product Owner to ensure the Strategic Initiative teams are performing to an acceptable risk and control standard as per the defined Client Journey Sustainability framework.
- Work with the relevant the Risk team to own, develop and design control measures and monitoring plans for compliance and operational risk management. This is to be achieved, for example, by defining Key Control Indicators and Controls Standard Testing for product capabilities, ownership of the relevant Global Department Operating Instruction(s) and defining required security matrix, profile definition and access framework(s).
- Ensure that material risks that are brought to stakeholders' attention which affect business processes and critical systems and projects are monitored, managed (to minimise loss and risk), and escalated accordingly.
- Responsible as system owner for relevant applications aligned for the function.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Provide oversight across the Strategic Initiative function, ensuring compliance with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws and anti-money laundering regulations and guidelines.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Through the Business Risk Managers monitor the effective communication and implementation of regulatory changes.
- Engage with local regulatory stakeholders and build trusted and valued relationships to drive outcomes that are satisfactory to the conduct of business in that relevant hub.
- Cash COO MT
- Cash Ops Global Functional Heads
- Cash Strategic Pillar Leads
- TB/Cash Universal Market/Country Leads
- TB/Cash Operations Leads
- Technology Heads/Delivery Partners
- Regional COOs and Regional Cash COOs
Our Ideal Candidate
- Leverage the opportunity provided by Corporate Social Responsibility to enhance the Group's internal and external reputation and indirectly influence the bottom line.
- Promote the Group's brand and Here for good with employees, clients and regulators.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Maintain effective communication with key stakeholders, including regulators and staff.
- Subject matter Expertise in Cash Management Operations / Products - primarily payments and collections
- Experience in Product Design and Control
- Experience in Change management and commercialization of product capabilities
- Knowledge of e-channels and client on-boarding
- Excellent communication skills
- Senior Stakeholder Management
- 10+ years of relevant experience
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.