Head of Analytics, Asia
- Singapore Singapore Singapore SG
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 23 May 18 2018-05-23
Head of Analytics, Asia
The Role: Asia Head of Analytics
The Location: Singapore
S&P Global Platts provides analytics across all commodities to provide an integrated view of global markets to deliver valuable insights to our customers. Asia is a significant growing market for which we intend to grow our presence and quality of analytics. Understanding the supply and demand dynamics across all commodities in every region and how the market will respond to tensions is one of the capabilities that sets S&P Global Platts apart from our competitors. The Head of Analytics in Asia will be responsible for coordinating this analysis in the region while ensuring that it is integrated into the global view across each of the commodities.
The Asia Head of Analytics will be responsible for all analysis related to short term trends in global commodities across Asia, Oceania and the Middle East. They will be expected to build relationships with key stakeholders and customers in the region in order to grow revenue for the business and grow our sources of data and market information.
The individual will be expected to develop a detailed understanding of Supply and Demand in the region along with changes in assets and stocks. We aim to provide dynamic real time analysis of the market by tracking changes in supply, demand, stocks and movements leveraging some of our proprietary tools such as cFlow trade analytics and our World Refinery Database. By sourcing the best data we look to build comprehensive models in order to understand changes in prices and margins. To be successful the candidate must have a strong understanding of modelling as well as the relationship between commodities such as Oil, Chemicals, Biofuels, LNG, Coal and renewables to create one integrated Platts view of energy demand to help our customers
What's in it for you:
- You will be a key member of the Platts Analytics Leadership Team
- You will run a team of up to 12 analysts based in locations across Asia including Singapore and Mainland China (who will have dotted lines to respective commodity lines).
- You will represent the S&P Global Platts Analytics view to customers, other market participants such as governments and the media (working closely with our news teams) within Asia.
- You will be expected to present at external conferences to promote our analysis and build the Platts Analytics brand
- You will be responsible to this integral piece of work with the objective of growing the business and revenue from Analytics in the region.
- The role will cover all countries East of Suez including the Middle East, South and East Asia and Oceana.
- Commodities include Oil, Gas/LNG, Chemicals, Coal, Power (incl. renewables), Biofuels/Agriculture and Metals.
- Collaborating with the Global Heads of Oil Demand, Oil Production, Refinery Margins & Tradeflow, NGL & Chemicals, Gas and Power, Policy and Scenarios.
- Contribute to supply and demand modeling for Asia (working closely with the Heads of Oil Demand, and Gas and Power), identifying sources of data to support short-term forecasts as well as understanding emerging trends (e.g. EVs, Gas for Transport) to support of the Scenario Planning Service long-term forecasts.
- Develop tools to determine the demand for feedstocks to support the total energy need of the region understanding the pricing switching points between energy sources and feedstocks including utilities fuel switching.Collaborate with other commodity heads to understand local production trends and trade flow of feedstocks across the region including Crude, NGLs, LNG Coal, and Chemicals.
- Integrate the non-refinery supply view into the balance around call on refining understanding the dynamics of trends in refinery throughput such as crude import quotas into China.
- Contribute to data input to the PIRA World Refinery Database, producing accurate, timely capacity, outage and run data for every refinery in the region and helping to enhance it to better predict likely unplanned events and their impact on margin and product supply.
- Deliver regular spotlights and reports for the region and present analysis to customers and at events. Interact with customers to answer questions and deliver outlooks.
What We're Looking For:
- Minimum 15 years of relevant work experience (energy industry, consulting, investment banking, equity research or equivalent professional experience)
- Demonstrate successful leadership of diverse and virtual teams.
- MA/MS or PHD desired preferably in economics, statistics, engineering, operations research or a similar field with exposure to applied quantitative analysis and forecasting in the energy industry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience and familiarity with the energy industry and markets required, in particular oil demand, refining and power markets.
- Fluency in statistical and economic modeling techniques and knowledge of advanced quantitative tools and programming languages are preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Successful candidates will possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit, are highly self-directed and motivated, and work well under tight deadlines.