- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 08 Nov 17
Legal Counsel, IP and Brand
- Location: Singapore
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Please view Job Description for details.Standard Chartered is a leading international bank operating in some of the most dynamic markets in the world, in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Our successful and sustainable business is built on doing tangible, long term good for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
Provide legal support and advice to stakeholders across the Group for all intellectual property matters including trade marks, copyright, patents, sponsorship arrangements and commercial supplier contracts.
Provide thought leadership and legal support/advice for intellectual property and branding matters. Supporting Corporate and M&A team and broader legal teams on IP aspects of a transaction as required. Help to ensure efficient and effective deployment of legal resources - including close cooperation with other country legal teams.
Promote a culture and practice of good conduct and adherence to legal standards within the Group.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Provide advice and transactional support on (i) all intellectual property and branding issues and projects; (ii) sponsorship and donation arrangements; and (iii) commercial supplier contracts.
Provide strategic advice and direction on Group initiatives related to intellectual property, trade marks, licensing, branding and marketing initiatives. Managing external counsel on IP matters globally.
Partner and collaborate with business, Country Legal team members, Group and local country Brand and Marketing teams to ensure transactions and initiatives have the necessary legal clearance. Build relationships with relevant stakeholders in Legal, Compliance and Risk functions.
Transactions and Contracts
* Early anticipation, identification and mitigation of legal risks in relation to intellectual property and commercial transactions and escalating such risks and governance issues in accordance with the Bank's risk management framework.
* Provide specialist advisory support to country and product legal teams on banking product or customer related transactions which have an IP dimension.
* Reviewing, advising, drafting and negotiating material group level commercial contracts including corporate services and marketing transactions. In particular, managing and reviewing Group Brand & Marketing contracts in general which includes marketing, research/surveys and social media monitoring initiatives.
* Providing IP specialist advisory support to country and product legal teams and support of relevant internal policy development and implementation as necessary.
* Providing strategic advice on IP disputes.
* Supervise the Bank's trade mark administration team.
* Provide advice on the Bank's global trade mark portfolio. Advising on new trade mark clearance searches for relevant countries across the Bank's global footprint.
* Managing trade mark opposition and infringement matters, drafting of disclaimers, clearance of social media posts, copyright, trade mark and other miscellaneous advice.
* Manage and advise on domain name matters e.g. alleged infringement.
* Knowledge of patents and/or fintech would be helpful but not essential.
* Support the IP & Brand Legal team in raising awareness and creating and providing training to staff on legal IP issues. Training and updating Country Trade Mark Managers on various Group IP processes.
* Participate and contribute to the development of contractual templates, precedents and standards to improve trade mark and patent processes e.g. name clearance, registration procedures etc.
Qualifications and Skills
* Profile: Able to work with senior management to develop and implement strategic projects/initiatives
* Commercial: pragmatic, creative, practical and solution-oriented.
* Proactive: able to use initiative and ready to identify issues without being asked and provide advice accordingly.
* Flexible: able and willing to work long hours (if required).
* Team player: personable, responsible, helpful.
* Organised: able to prioritise workload and manage conflicting priorities to meet deadlines.
* Reliable, tactful, discreet, diplomatic: able to work with senior staff and persons of different nationalities and from different cultures, have good judgment and strong decision making skills.
* Self-motivated: able to operate independently with no supervision.
* Energetic: enthusiastic about the role, the function and the Group.
* Responsibility and perseverance.
* Highest professional standards.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
Must be a qualified lawyer (solicitor, attorney or barrister) with 4+ years' post qualification experience and preferably with in-house IP / general commercial experience. With:
* a detailed knowledge and understanding of intellectual property law and practice;
* significant experience in IP / branding process management and licence agreement structuring;
* understanding of risk management techniques;
* experience in negotiating and drafting a variety of commercial contracts including supplier and sponsorship agreements;
* exemplary integrity, ethics, independence and resilience; and
* proven ability to establish relationships.
* Legal and Compliance teams - Group, business and country
* Other Group functions and businesses - for IP, Technology and Trade Mark matters
* Group Brand & Marketing
* Supply Chain Management
LINE MANAGER Senior Group Legal Counsel - IP & Brand Legal
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.