Who we're looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic senior developer with expertise in backend technologies, well-versed and proficient as a full-stack engineer to help us design, build, and maintain best-in-class software. Each team member is aligned to a single Capability aligned agile team and, while the Principal Analyst Developer's core contribution will be leading software development and engineering tasks, they also significantly contribute and analysis and testing activities. About Schroders
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future. We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper. The base
The role will be based in our APAC regional hub in Singapore, with a mix of working from home as well as working from our central business district office in Capita Green. The team
You will be part of the Digital technology regional team, part of the Global Digital, Distribution & Marketing Technology team. The Digital, Distribution & Marketing Technology team creates and supports the applications used by our Sales and Client Servicing teams. Our technology footprint includes applications and systems, split between vendor and in-house developed, all designed with the common objective of being digitally and data driven. Not only do we rapidly respond to the demands of the external environment and those of our Sales and Client Service teams, the Digital, Distribution & Marketing Technology team is strategically positioned to deliver innovative solutions What you'll do
The knowledge, experience, and qualifications you need
- Design, build, and maintain cloud first APIs for digital solutions focused on enabling growth across Marketing and Distribution use cases.
- Work with developers, agile analysts, engineering lead, delivery lead, product owner(s), and stakeholders across the company to bring enhancements, new features, and products to market.
- Operate in a modern software engineering environment, using Agile and DevOps methodologies and tools including Scrum, git, and CI/CD Bring the experience and know-how to find the right balance between fast delivery, and longer-term sustainable delivery
- Drive a continuous delivery approach which focusses on developing software iteratively, with fast feedback loops, frequent releases, and a "shift-left" approach to testing
- Engage actively in Agile planning including story refinement, demos, and retrospectives.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders and analysts to gather business requirements, translate requirements into functional solutions and effectively deliver features and user stories into working software that is fit for purpose
- Work closely with the Business Analyst(s), Engineering Lead, Delivery Lead and Solutions Architect(s) to ensure that requirements and testing needs are well understood alongside standards being adhered to and any necessary architectural or technical debt is recorded with a realistic plan to remediate
- Work with colleagues from other agile teams and shared service teams to both communicate and accept dependencies Write unit tests, build and deployment scripts to support Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Ensure continued improvement through conducting regular retrospective reviews and executing high priority actions that emerge Support the development and customisation of web applications using modern front-end technologies.
- Work with our UX Design team to manage and maintain the creative design; 'look and feel' of our digital products. Contribute to peer code reviews and the preparation of releases.
- Continually look for ways to improve your own skills and experience Have a passion for keeping up to date with the latest industry trends in digital technologies and how new technologies can be leveraged to meet business objectives, demonstrating thought leadership and coaching to other team members.
- Coach and develop more junior team members, ensuring appropriate design principles are established, and the similarly appropriate engineering practices and methodologies are adopted
- The role requires a structured creative individual who can govern our growing demand for digital features and solutions in region. It is a senior development position; strong technical skills are required as you are expected to build applications as well as liaise with technology partners as required to support fluctuating demand.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- At least 7 years of technical background experience in backend and API development.
- Experience of developing digital experiences (such as web, mobile, chatbots, CMS, etc.) and APIs (REST, RPC, GraphQL)
- Experience in relational database development with MS-SQL/PostgreSQL and developing applications using Cloud such as MS Azure, AWS; leveraging PaaS and FaaS.
- Proven track record of making significant, self-directed, and end-to-end contributions to large and impactful software projects.
- You analyse beyond the task at hand to profoundly understand the 'why' behind what you are doing.
- Plenty of experience with SDLC practices, modern engineering, agile practices, and shift left CI/CD.
- An excellent understanding of software testability.
- Familiar with test automation techniques such as TDD and BDD, and with structuring and writing tests.
- Good DevOps experience building and enhancing continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines, considering security, telemetry, functional testing, etc.
- Knowledge of DevOps tooling such as Git, Azure DevOps, Octopus Deployment, Confluence.
- Proven ability to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams of business analysts, developers, user experience designers, infrastructure, and subject matter experts
- Ability to translate business requirements into functional specification, delivering a tested functioning solution.
- Experience in articulating technical solutions to non-technical and business stakeholders.
What you'll be like
- Comfortable working on .Net framework/ C# or python with experience in a full stack environment
- Experience with Azure cloud stack and NoSQL databases.
- Experience designing web applications leveraging content-management-systems.
- Experience developing web apps with ReactJS and mobile (React Native based) apps
- Experience and knowledge of Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Experience working in financial services/asset management industry.
- Experience working with global colleagues and stakeholders understanding cultural differences, time zones etc.
- Role may require supporting projects where Mandarin language skills will be advantageous.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
- Proactive, capable of driving change, leads by example, supports, and mentors the team members, and engages with the other team leads to align on dependencies and cross teams' challenges
- Team player who values clean code and the continuous learning culture
- Passionate about what you do, detail-orientated, always striving for excellence and proactively seeking for areas to improve
- Capable of remaining positive when under pressure
- Able to prioritize work and limit work-in-progress to achieve optimal flow; must be able to manage stakeholder expectations and commitments.
- Friendly, approachable, and collaborative team player who enjoys working with people from across the firm
- Continuous improvement mind-set, challenges the status quo and seeks self-improvement
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.