Python Software Engineer - Commodities - Front Office Athena, VP
As an experienced member of our Software Engineering Group, we look first and foremost for people who are passionate around solving business problems through innovation and engineering practices. You'll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common goals. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You'll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking environment-one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers globally.
You will be working in the Commodities Technology team in Singapore. This is a global team that develops and maintains the systems responsible in Athena for trading, price calculation, risk management, P& L reporting and trade booking covering majority global derivative markets and commodities products (Futures, Options, and Swap etc.)
Athena is J.P. Morgan's cross-market risk management and trading system that provides functionality for traders, salespeople and operations staff globally. It is used in our foreign exchange, fixed income & credit and commodities businesses. Athena includes a globally replicated object-oriented database, a powerful dependency graph and a fully integrated stack across pricing, risk and trading tools. The code is a combination of Python and C++: C++ for speed, and Python for flexibility and rapid but controlled releases. Athena is designed to provide a continuous deployment environment, and pull developers close to the business to help increase revenues, while improving operational processes and controls to reduce costs.
We are seeking a technically strong and disciplined developer. Working closely with QR, Trading, Sales and Middle Office teams, you will be called upon to deliver quality code in a fast paced environment that evolves as business opportunities present themselves. The role will require an ability to attain clear understanding of Athena environment and of the unique design considerations that come into play in a diverse and highly interdependent systems environment.
This role requires a wide variety of strengths and capabilities, including:
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
- Expertise in application, data, and infrastructure architecture disciplines
- Advanced knowledge of architecture and design across all systems
- Proficiency in multiple modern programming languages such as Python, Java, C++, C
- Knowledge of industry-wide technology trends and best practices
- Keen understanding of financial control and budget management
- Ability to work in large, collaborative teams to achieve organizational goals
- Passionate about building an innovative culture
- Understanding of software skills such as business analysis, development, maintenance, and software improvement
- Good communication skills and ability to collaborate with and influence other technology teams to deliver end to end solutions to the business in a constantly changing environment
- Eager to take ownership of work, have real business impact, overcome obstacles and take it through to completion, working as part of this team and collaborating with a much bigger community of developers sharing the technology and code base