Senior Compliance Officer, Global Markets
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career opportunity in an international, challenging business environment characterized by high pace and diversity with focus on creating valuable relations with our customers. We offer a competitive salary & benefits package and also an excellent work environment where you’re valued as part of our team!About BNP Paribas in Asia Pacific ( www.apac.bnpparibas )
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 15,000 employees* and a presence in 14 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 74 countries with more than 190,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career opportunity in an international, challenging business environment characterized by high pace and diversity with focus on creating valuable relations with our customers. We offer a competitive salary & benefits package and also an excellent work environment where you're valued as part of our team!
* excluding partnerships
Role: Vice President or Director
The candidate's coverage will be mainly (in order of priority):
1. APAC Commodities Business
2. APAC FXLM and Asset & Liability Management Treasury
3. SEA G10 Rates
4. SEA Prime Services & futures business (with FXLM and rates nexus)
5. SEA EQD.
Provision of compliance advice will be the primary role,
1. Advising the business on compliance and regulatory issues. For example:
*providing compliance comments for new activities (termed NACs/TACs)
*providing compliance advice on all front office ad hoc and BAU business requests
Compliance advice pertains to advising on:
• compliance with regulations in SEA region,
• BNPP internal policies (This is not restricted to Compliance owned policies but also Front office policies such as Commodities Principles & Guidelines, Guidance on Mark-Up) ; and
• Global Regulations to the extent it impacts APAC such as the EU Markets Abuse Regulations (MAR), Dodd Frank Act, Volcker Rule, French Banking Law.
2. Liaise with counterparts in EMEA and US to facilitate APAC business compliance with Global regulations.
3. Be the compliance representative of business projects which has the above business nexus. [For example, Cross Border Marketing project, Cross Border Booking project]
4. Work with regulatory compliance and business functions on new and upcoming regulatory changes, MAS Consultation Papers.
5. Work with Singapore regulatory compliance team in advising business on SG licensing matters.
6. Coordination of completion of all MAS and SGX questionnaires for Global Markets which entails coordinating for the right answers from many stakeholders.
7. Work with Local Compliance in advising business on regulations (such as currency controls and licensing requirements) in APAC jurisdictions. This will entail managing the communications between business and local compliance in arriving at a balanced and mutually satisfactory outcome.
(B) Surveillance/ Controls
1. Work with Surveillance team on all the background review/surveillance work each time a regulatory inquiry of transactions occurs. The includes inquiries from exchanges (e.g. SGX/CME) or regulators (e.g. CFTC, MAS)
2. Work with Surveillance team on the conduct of trade surveillance (in Commodities FX LM & G10), and electronic communications surveillance on Commodities, FXLM and the other above businesses.
3. Advise Permanent Control team on how to go about conducting compliance reviews and controls testing of business.
1. The Candidate may be asked to perform similar tasks above on other products such as Credit, Primary Markets, Equities,
2. Take the lead in investigations on compliance related matters (such as market conduct issues or code of conduct issues such as confidentiality breach, data leakage tec.)
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
At least 5 to 10 years of working experience in the financial industry, preferably in the area of global market.
Excellent writing skills (English) and analytical skills.
Excellent communication skills and preferably with some experience of dealing in multiple countries in Asia Pacific.
Specific Qualifications Required
University graduate with relevant professional qualifications (e.g. ICA Diploma of Compliance or Anti Money Laundering, and/or other industry AML memberships/certifications, e.g. ACAMS). Preferably a Legal Degree and/or Degree in AML.