Head of HR, Asia Pacific ex-Japan
A key role in achievement of the mission of the Global Tax Group of Jones Lang LaSalle, in supporting LaSalle’s Asia Pacific operations. Other than frequent interactions with the head of tax in Asia Pacific, the role will also be working closely with LaSalle’s global head of tax based in Chicago as well as other tax team located globally. The role will be working closely and provide tax support with various internal functions across Asia Pacific such as Accounting and Finance, Asset Management, Acquisitions, Legal and Compliance, Corporate Secretarial and Business Operations.
LaSalle Investment Management is one of the world’s leading real estate investment managers. With presence in 16 countries worldwide, we manage approximately USD 71 billion (as of Q4 2020) of private and public property equity investments. Our diverse client base includes public and private pension funds, insurance companies, governments, endowments and private individuals from across the globe.
Unlike many investment management firms, we invest only in real estate and therefore have a unique focus and depth of expertise in the sector. Our primary objective is to deliver competitive performance while striving to achieve the highest levels of client service.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manage and review direct and indirect tax compliance and tax reporting for funds and corporate entities in Asia Pacific;
- Prepare and/or review of tax provision packages, deferred taxes and tax disclosure for corporate entities in Asia Pacific, with the focus on the Singapore entities.
- Monitor the existing internal and global transfer pricing policies and ensure adequate documentation is in place;
- Manage external tax advisors for tax structuring, tax compliance as well as other tax planning projects, as required from time to time;
- Manage inquiries and audits by tax authorities if any;
- Maximize the after-tax cash flow resulting from repatriating ongoing and liquidating distributions on selected Fund and separate account mandates; and
- Monitor changes in tax legislation within the region and economic circumstances of investments and evaluate whether changes in existing portfolio of tax planning structures are needed to maintain tax efficiency in light of law changes or changes in circumstances.
Education, Experience, and Personal Attributes:
- 6 or more years’ experience in taxation in the region.
- Experience in cross-border taxation necessary, such as application of double tax treaties.
- Experience with tax return computations and tax provision reporting.
- Familiarity and experience in dealing with Singapore tax incentives such as Enhanced Tier Fund, Resident Fund, etc is a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced and yet team-oriented environment.
- Excellent project management skills and experience in managing complex tax assignments.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with key fellow employees across the region, active in initiation of communication and responsiveness.
- Good attitude with strong willingness to learn and strive for continuous improvement.
- Good Microsoft Office Software knowledge
- Knowledge of written and verbal Mandarin is an advantage as there are Chinese documents to be reviewed for the Greater China business