UNIX System Administrator
- Permanent, Full time
- UBS AG
Do you have a knack for technology? Are you at your best when supporting others? We're looking for someone like that to:
• Provide global production support for the Sun Solaris and Red Hat Enterprise Linux distributed infrastructure while on shift.
• Address incidents picked up by the monitoring systems alerting on global Unix & Linux infrastructure within a timely manner
• Resolve problem tickets allocated to team on central management tools (e.g. SNOW)
• Implement requests for service as generated in manual and automated ticketing systems (e.g. SNOW, etc)
• Regular verbal and written communication with business partners and other support teams to clarify details of incidents or service requests to maintain production stability and meet established SLA's.
• Liaise with vendors to analyze crash dumps, or infrastructure problems
• Write technical documentation as needed
• Operational knowledge of key technologies, such as Sun Solaris 8/10, RHEL 3/5, VERITAS Storage Foundation Suite, SVM/LVM/VxVM, VCS/Sun Cluster/RHCS, NetBackup, Sun Fire & Enterprise product line, Fujitsu Prime Power, Blade technology, SAN/NAS storage
• Provide projects support for the Sun Solaris and Red Hat Enterprise Linux distributed infrastructure, preferably worked in Storage Migration, DC Exit, OS Migration, Unix estate wide remediation projects and BCM/Isolation tests, Power down activitiesYour
• Work during weekend and night-times, participating in a 24x7 shift roster
Expert advice. Wealth management. Investment banking. Asset management. Retail banking in Switzerland. And all the support functions. That's what we do. And we do it for private and institutional clients as well as corporations around the world.
We are about 60,000 employees in all major financial centers, in more than 50 countries. Do you want to be one of us?
You will be a member of 24X7 Operational support group supporting Global Unix environment within the bank. ensuring the quality, stability of the Unix/Linux environment and supporting business managers in planning IT project requirements.
Your experience and skills
• University degree with 5+ years' experience in supporting UNIX based distributed computing environment with a large number of systems (200+)
• Ability to distil work into discreet packages for execution by other team members
• Independent problem solving skills and effective time management
• Ability to analyze and solve problems quickly and completely
• A solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system, preferable Solaris 8/10 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
• Good troubleshooting skills with knowledge of key operating system concepts such as paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, file system concepts, disk management/partitioning, automounter, etc
• Understanding and working knowledge of authentication and naming services, including NIS, LDAP with Kerberos, Power Broker, DNS, NTP, etc
• Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts, such as NFS, routing, troubleshooting network related issues.
• Fundamental skills with Veritas Storage Foundations, Volume Manager, File System and Cluster server.
• Basic configuration knowledge of Oracle SPARC, Fujitsu Prime Power, IBM blade and HP servers
• Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (for example Tk, Perl, ksh, sh, csh)
• Basic understanding of the Banking and Finance industries with previous job experience a plus.
desirable skills are
• Basic knowledge of relational databases such as Oracle and/or Sybase with knowledge of SQL
• Knowledge of SAN and NAS administration and management
• Knowledge of VMWare ESX
• Knowledge of Veritas Cluster Volume Manager concepts and operations
• Knowledge in the standard ITIL processes
• Working knowledge of NetBackup and key concepts
• Good written and spoken English, able to communicate in English with remote teams whose first language is not English
• Strong analytical and logical skills
• Team work, ability to contribute to and work in a team, as well as at times step up and lead a number of people when handling problems or incidents
• Strong inter-personal and communication skills, capable of writing/contributing to technical knowledge articles
What we offer
Together. That's how we do things. We offer people around the world a supportive, challenging and diverse working environment. We value your passion and commitment, and reward your performance.
Keen to achieve the work-life agility that you desire? We're open to discussing how this could work for you (and us).
Take the next step
Are you truly collaborative? Succeeding at UBS means respecting, understanding and trusting colleagues and clients. Challenging others and being challenged in return. Being passionate about what you do. Driving yourself forward, always wanting to do things the right way. Does that sound like you? Then you have the right stuff to join us. Apply now.