Vice President, Financial Crime Assurance - 6 Months Contract
- Market rate
- Permanent, Full time
- 06 Oct 17 2017-10-06
About Financial Crime Barclays Financial Crime function is part of the Compliance division and is responsible for positioning Barclays to effectively mitigate the risks of products and services being abused for the purposes of money laundering, terrorism financing, or other financial crime. The Financial Crime function implements a compliance framework to meet the requirements of anti-money laundering, anti-terrorism, anti-bribery & corruption and economic sanctions laws and regulations.
Overall purpose of role
The Assurance professional will be responsible for leading and executing assurance reviews on product, geographic and functional lines as directed by Global Leads and/or Regional Heads. The Assurance professional will be a member of a resource pool, providing assurance across all financial crime areas as required.
By leading assurance work, the Financial Crime Assurance role holder will contribute to the development of financial crime capability by constructively challenging its on-going effectiveness and identifying opportunities for continuous improvement.
The primary duties are as follows:
- Being a role model for the Barclays values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
- Execution of Assurance review fieldwork, as directed by Global Leads and/or Regional Heads.
- Directing, supervising and reviewing the work of members of the team assigned to specific reviews
- Drafting of review scopes, testing, review of documentation, documentation of results, and preparing draft assurance reports.
- Assist other review leads (as applicable) with planning and execution of Design Effectiveness and Operating Effectives testing by uniformly applying the methodology and quality standards, focusing the work on key Financial Crime regulations and risks.
- Proposing action plans to address root causes.
- Partnership with other areas of Financial Crime, investigate issues (actual or perceived) as directed by Global Leads and/or Regional Heads.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
The position entails conducting assurance activities of financial crime processes within Barclays. The role requires:
- Interacting with business, operations, compliance, infrastructure areas and other risk functions; assessing the design and operating effectiveness of systems and controls to mitigate financial crime risk.
- Own, build and manage relationships with key stakeholders Provide guidance to team members and peers within the wider team by sharing best practice.
- Provide guidance to stakeholders on remediation of control weaknesses by participating in discussions and using technical knowledge so that these can be remediated timely.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Barclays Operational Risk Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Standards.
Personal attributes essential to performing role including competencies, expertise, knowledge, and experience. Note: experience requirements must not be in the form of years (minimum or otherwise).
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree preferable
- 5+ years of experience in Legal, Compliance or Audit
- Previous experience in Financial Crime, Conformance Testing, Quality Assurance, Investigations or Audit
- Experience in supervising junior team members
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
- Have experience in Compliance, Financial Crime and/or Internal Audit (or equivalent).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tough and resilient personality. Confident and positive individual able to communicate with clarity and purpose both in written and verbal formats. Able to communicate compliance issues in a non-technical way.
- Display professional scepticism, raising and discussing contentious observations with management and adapting their style, as necessary.
- Provide suggestions to Financial Crime Management as to how they can address control issues raised and/or non-compliance to policy.
- Ability to communicate hard messages so they land effectively and are acted upon.
- Individual with relevant regulatory experience. Understanding of the regulatory requirements that affect Barclays globally, with particular reference to trends and the likely future regime.
- Be proactive, demonstrate well-considered judgments and anticipate emerging risks.
- Knowledge of Financial Crime best practices.
- Act as an ambassador for Financial Crime across Barclays.
- Improving technical knowledge through self-learning or training including mandatory CPE requirements.
- Proactively sharing knowledge and identified best practices beyond specific assurance reviews to maximize impact of Assurance work across the Financial Crime areas.
- Through engagement with Financial Crime and the business, play an active role in sharing ‘what good looks like’, poor practices and lessons learned as well as the role of Assurance in Financial Crime.