This new role will form part of the closely-knit VTB Commodities Trading Legal team. It will be based in Zug. The candidate will work closely with the Global Commodities division. The individual will be reporting to Head of Legal in Zug, and will work closely with the broader legal team globally. The candidate must have in-house commodities trading/financing experience. A track record of working in the physical commodities sector with highly motivated commodities business professionals but also ideally experience of working in banks and regulated financial institutions as well.
The candidate will be accountable to the legal department, the local entity in Zug and the commodities business.
The global commodities business is headquartered in Moscow but the physical trading hub/booking entity is in Zug.
Skills needed include:
- Commodities trade agreements / trade finance documentation.
- Broader knowledge around commodities logistics and commercial documents of international shipment of commodities is essential.
- Commodities futures/derivatives experience would be an advantage.
- Strong appreciation of Swiss regulatory issues and regulatory issues involving a global business desk operating in a regulated entity.
- Appreciation of compliance and sanctions would be an advantage.
- Issues may include jurisdictional licensing and cross border origination/marketing issues.
- Ideally admitted to practise in a Commonwealth jurisdiction (England & Wales/Singapore/Hong Kong).
Key Competencies & Qualifications
Private practice is not ruled out but ideally would have had secondment/s in commodities team/s.
Good academic qualifications in law and minimum 3 year PQE.
Russian would be an advantage
German would be an advantage
- Dynamic, astute with regard to risk assessment, commercial and self-assured to get the respect of the business.
- Team-oriented personality with good judgement to identify and escalate governance/regulatory/cross border/sanctions issues promptly, particularly to Global/Regional Legal heads, as applicable.
Typical Decisions taken by Job Holder
Key aspects of the function will be to make decisions on legal structures, documentation and legal issues affecting the business interests of the entities in the commodities field.
Documentation of structured transactions, such as sale purchase contracts for commodities will be within the remit of the candidate, as will local advice for physical commodities trading.
No budgetary responsibility.
This job description is dated and is a fair representation of the role that you will carry out for VTB Capital but is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties.
As with any organization and role, change is inevitable and the role may flex over time.
Where this change is material your manager will issue a revised job description in consultation with Human Resources.