Director of Data Engineering
CME Group is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. We're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
To learn more about what a career at CME Group can offer you, visit us at www.wherefuturesaremade.com .
The selected candidate will join the CME Engineering and Execution team in Belfast as a Director of Software Engineering (Technical Specialist), acting as technical advisor for the Enterprise Data Flow area. The Belfast teams are a high performing group of individuals that deliver on a broad range of functions including systems/business analysis, software development and quality assurance services. The team is responsible from initial request review, impact assessment, and prioritisation through to solution implementation.
The EDF program is committed to building a next generation enterprise data platform across on-premise and cloud-based systems, to store data generated both in the exchange and from external sources, generate analytical insights, and distribute data to downstream applications and internal and external customers. We take into consideration the 3 V's of big data; high Volumes at high Velocities and with a Variety of sources and data types. We are building out a cutting-edge platform to take the big data needs of CME into the future and deliver value to our business and external customers with performance, scale, security and resilience built in from the start.
The successful candidate, throughout their career, will form a key part in driving our success across technology, and will find opportunities to work in a variety of projects and technologies.
The Director, Technical Specialist identifies opportunities for improvement of the systems and drives the long term technology strategy of the data space, and is regarded as expert in the applications, systems and relevant technologies.
• Designs, architects and builds reliable scalable systems for several projects at the department and sometimes vertical level
• Drives innovation across the department and through the teams
• Implements and maintains IT systems with complex technical specifications.
• Acts as the technical expert and collaborates internally within the appropriate teams; advises, coaches and mentors members of the team or department
• Provides direction and has the autonomy and authority to resolve critical-situation technical problems at the team or department level
• Maintains an understanding of CME Group's customers, competitors and industry issues.
• Stays up to date with technology trends and is recognized as a subject matter expert within technology and informs others about industry issues/new developments within the discipline that relate to the division strategy; participates in R&D efforts.
• Bachelor's degree (with honours) or equivalent/better strongly preferred, but substantial relevant experience could substitute
• Experience working in technical teams, and providing direction to projects
• Experience in the big data domain with a passion for, and deep knowledge of data engineering, lakes, distribution, governance and data quality.
• Experience with cloud technologies (AWS, GCP)
• Experience working independently, as well as in a team environment, proactively driving initiatives and tasks while meeting agreed delivery timelines
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience with Software-as-a-Service, Platform-as-a-Service, or Infrastructure-as-a-Service
• Experience in a story-driven, agile environment.
• Prior experience working in financial services/exchange space.
• Prior experience working with BDD methodologies