Lead/Principal DevOps Engineer
- Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- PA Consulting
- 26 May 19
Lead/Principal DevOps Engineer
Bringing Ingenuity to Life
We're an innovation and transformation consultancy that believes in the power of ingenuity to build a positive-human future in a technology-driven world. Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking with breakthrough-technologies to progress further, faster.
With a global network of FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 clients, we'll offer you unrivalled opportunities for growth and the freedom to excel. Combining strategies, technologies and innovation, we turn complexity to opportunity and deliver enduring results, enabling you to build a lasting career.
Isn't it time you joined us?
Become part of the Team
We emphasise the Dev in DevOps. For us it's about putting the right tools and processes in place, not running the operations of a service. As a DevOps specialist, you will find yourself working on exciting projects, across a range of sectors and technology sets. The team will be looking to you to put the right things in place to facilitate the delivery of the service.
We want enablers. This isn't about you owning a toolkit but being an integral teammate. That means being a player-coach developing the skills of your colleagues and evangelising the DevOps approach. Likewise, they'll invest in you, so you can learn new development skills or perhaps assisting in the implementation of a test automation framework. It's all about crafting a highly skilled performing team. We'll make an investment in you - making you a consultant with a highly diverse and applicable skillset, but we'll also need you to invest in us, helping us develop our DevOps approach and capability.
As a Lead/Principal DevOps Engineer, you are encouraging a team or effort. We'll be looking at you to set direction and take responsibility for successfully achieving an outcome or deliverable. You may have a team of people to support, leading a development pod, or else you could be working across multiple pods, providing some centralised expertise necessary for a larger program of work. Your clients and colleagues will look to you for:
- Expertise in architecture. Do you feel comfortable upholding higher level architectural discussions?
- Knowledge of the development process, perhaps being responsible for the overall process across a pod, or multiple pods, creating strong values and putting robust methods and patterns in place.
- Maintaining communication with the client regularly, being one of the key points of engagement between the client and the project.
- Coaching and mentoring the team.
- Help shaping and contributing to bids, working with a bid team on the approach or proposal and perhaps even presenting to clients in a formal selection process.
- Playing a role in account management and strong consulting skills.
What We're Looking for
DevOps is a diverse and growing capability. There are a variety of different tools, cloud technologies and approaches. We don't expect you to know them all, we're interested in speaking to DevOps specialists with experience of:
- Cloud technologies: AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Building and implementing CI/CD Pipelines, experience working with repos, build automation tools, build orchestration and environment automation is very interesting E.g. Jenkins, GIT, SVN, CVS, Cloud-Formation, Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, Code Pipeline, Azure Stack
- Implementing microservices and containers E.g. Kubernetes, Docker, OpenShift
- Implementing tools for logging, monitoring and alerting. E.g. TICK Stack, ELK Stack, Splunk, CloudWatch
- Creating and automating virtual machines in the cloud deployed on compute instances.
- Implementing other cloud infrastructure and networking required to host a digital service, including storage, firewall and network configuration.
- High availability, business continuity and disaster recovery solutions in the cloud.
- Deploying serverless functions E.g. AWS Lambda, GCP Cloud Functions, Azure Cloud Functions
- Working knowledge of OS including CLI experience, deploying and configuring application or web servers in virtual machines. E.g. Linux, Tomcat, JBoss, Windows Server, IIS.
- Solving environmental and configuration issues across the stack.
- Application of operational process, such as, patching strategies and dependency management of environments and virtual machines.
About PA Consulting Group
Benefits package at PA:
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn, childcare benefits)
- Voluntary benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of 'Bringing Ingenuity to Life', supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.